Ulcers... Need info!

Lady_K1126
on 7/21/14 1:27 am, edited 7/21/14 1:27 am

I am having my EGD on Friday and have been off any antacids for almost a week.  My tummy defiitely feels different without those.  My question is - if they were to find an ulcer (God forbid!) could my surgery go forward?  If not (God forbid!) what happens next?  Thanks!

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

hollykim
on 7/21/14 6:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

if they found an ulcer you would have to vet erred for 3 weeks with two different antibiotics to kill the bacteria that causes ulcers.

you surgery would be postponed until your test cam back negative for the. Bacteria. 

GL

Noragretz
on 7/22/14 12:21 pm
VSG on 09/05/14

Hi there. I am trying to get surgery too. I have had some undiagnosed tummy discomfort. So I ended up getting an EGD and a colonoscopy July 8th. Everyone kept telling me it was my gallbladder... found out I have several ulcers just past the stomach. (duodeum?) Anyways after sending the report to the surgeon, he recommended waiting for till the end of August - beginning of September.  I have previously been tested for H.Pylori, but that had come up negative. I take alot of ibuprophen so that is probably the cause of my ulcers.  I am taking protonix in the meantime.  I have also tried cabbage juice and mastic gum.  Just a waiting game for me.  :-(

Mikakaye
on 7/22/14 1:07 pm

I would suggest you wait until your ulcers are healed completely. I almost lost my best friend due to ulcers perforating her stomach after hernia surgery due to a lap band.  She had emergency surgery to patch holes but it still leaked fluid (infection) in her abdomen & she is looking at at a third surgery. Been in hospital over a month.  Ask questions & make sure you check your doctor out. Good luck. 

Most Active