BMI over 40 half way through 6 month insurance period

soxshuff
on 7/20/14 11:50 am - Edgewater, MD
VSG on 12/02/14

I started with a BMI of 37.4, now I am at 40.  I have taken all my tests and do not have any comorbid conditions to approve my surgery with a BMI of 35.  My third (of 6) month appointment is Tuesday, I have Care First Blue Choice of Maryland insurance.  Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what could happen?

poet_kelly
on 7/20/14 12:21 pm - OH

Does your insurance require that your BMI be over 40 for a certain length of time?  Some do, like two years or even five years.  Also, many go by your starting BMI, not your BMI at the end of a six month diet. 

I think you need to check with your insurance company about their requirements.  Your BMI may disqualify you.  If that's the case, it seems silly to go through a six month diet, especially since it seems the six month diet is not benefiting you - you are gaining weight, not losing weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jenn1469
on 7/20/14 12:43 pm

I myself had to gain 20 pounds to get approval but my b mi only had to be 35 due to my arthritis.  I no this is bad advice but I really wanted the surgery. I lost the 25 lbs in 2 weeks after surgery. 

Jennifer

Most Active