Considering WLS....

kraftkris
on 7/20/14 10:46 am

What do you wish you knew going into WLS surgery?  What would you do differently?  Would you do it again?

Thanks!

Pegasus_AM
on 7/21/14 12:11 am

I haven't had surgery yet but I have been visiting this site daily for awhile now and the info you can find on here is not just supportive but eye opening sometimes. I find the people on here to be not only supportive of each other but honest and helpful. I have not read one post where anyone has regretted they decision to have WLS. I have read some people saying they wish they had done more research before there surgery and a few others saying they wish they had found this site before surgery. I think it's important to remember everybody will have a different surgical experience. It's like childbirth no two experiences are the same. Everybody has a different tolerance to pain, anaesthesia, etc.. but people do share their experiences and you can take away from their experiences what you feel will apply to you. Good-Luck :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Tracy D.
on 7/21/14 12:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

^^What Valerie said!  Also wish I'd known that my surgeon's office and staff had ZERO information about what was a healthy protein powder versus all the crap that is out there.  I had to really, really do my own research and come on here and read old posts to finally hit on one that was both tasty AND healthy AND not made in China or with whey protein imported from China.  

Also, my surgeon's office wasn't the best source about vitamins either.  They had me taking Tums for my calcium supplement for the first 6 weeks...and it's not even the right KIND of calcium for VSG patients 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

jastypes
on 7/21/14 5:18 am - Croydon, PA

I was pretty well informed before having my surgery.  I spent a lot of time on OH, spoke to people who had had the surgery, found an awesome bariatric-only clinic, and attended their support group meetings.  I still do, and I had my surgery 7 years ago.  I can say that the only things I would do differently if I had to do it all over is I would never pick up A) alcohol; and B) sugar -- at least no more than my surgeon had recommended.  It's been an interesting journey, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active