Snack or Meal-Protein Shakes

teachnaz
on 7/20/14 10:26 am

I have some questions about protein shakes. My shake is 150 calories/21 grams of protein.
1. I start my day off with one of these. Because of the calories is it considered a snack or a meal?
2. Does the 30/20/30 rule apply when drinking protein shakes?
3. It takes me longer than 20 minutes to drink a full shake. Is that OK?

Thanks! FYI - I'm just 9 day post op RNY

poet_kelly
on 7/20/14 12:16 pm - OH

1.  Does it really matter if you name it a snack or a meal?  I don't see how it really matters.  Call it whatever you like.

2.  No, the rule doesn't apply.  There is actually no reason not to drink for 30 minutes before meals, including meals of solid foods, since liquids don't stay in your pouch long at all.  And since a protein shake is a liquid and liquids don't stay in your pouch long at all, there is no reason to wait 30 minutes after finishing a shake to drink something else.  No reason to wait to drink after drinking, you know?

3.  I don't know why it wouldn't be OK.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active