2 week liquid diet

ConfidenceIsKey
on 7/19/14 3:20 pm

My sleeve surgery is set for July 31st! Yay!

My surgeon put me on a 2 week liquid diet up until surgery which I started on the 17th. 

It consists of three protein shakes a day with any amount of beverages under 10 calories and sugar free jello. Has anyone else had to do something like this?

Ever since I started I've felt really nauseous most of the day. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?? 

Thank you!

basilmk
on 7/19/14 8:03 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

You are not alone...almost everyone had done the liquid both pre and post op.  The length of the liquid diet is determined by your lab results and the program your surgeon has developed.

in a few days, you'll get used to it and will, probably, see the results on your scale.

Best wishes on your journey!

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Cheryl H.
on 7/19/14 11:36 pm - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

my surgery is Thursday, the 24th and I'm on 2 weeks liquids too.  Make that jello, it will quickly turn into your best friend as you crave something other than those protein shake.  

Are you drinking enough water?  Try drinking water with lemon or cucumber in it to break up the sweet on sweet on sweet.  Also, some peppermint hot tea might settle your tummy.  

It's one of the hardest things I've ever done!  I have read where people that cheat on this go into surgery and either the dr doesn't/can't do it (liver is too fatty, breaks and enlarged so they can't get around it) or they get cut instead of scoped, making it a longer hospital stay, recovery, etc....

Get tha****er in!

Cheryl

J B
on 7/19/14 11:41 pm

I'm in the post-surgery liquid diet phase right now, and I agree, it's tricky.  I think you're fighting your mind's idea of what is a 'real' meal (with chewing and everything.)  However, I do think you're going to get used to it fairly quickly - with so much protein, your body is going to really enjoy the good treatment you're giving it.  Something that might help: since you have 'free' beverages, you might consider drinking a low sodium broth.  That's been helping me to break up the non-stop parade of sweet foods and feel a bit more full.

Gwen M.
on 7/20/14 12:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal - most people have to do a pre-op liquid diet of some duration.  Mine was 5 shakes a day.  It got a lot better around day 3-4.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lucy_lou
on 7/20/14 12:28 am

My surgery is set for 7/30 and I too am having a hard time with this liquid diet. I have a pounding headache! I'm a little confused as my md said 1200 calories/day drinking meal replacements 3x a day. well, that's only 460 calories. I guess I will call them tomorrow. Good Luck with this part of the journey!

jonnyrow
on 7/20/14 5:12 am - Australia

hey lucy_lou. what kind of surgery did you have anf foe how long do you have to be on this diet? wish you to feel better

Jonny

lucy_lou
on 7/20/14 9:18 am

Im going to have bypass on 7/30. Im on this liquid diet for 2 weeks..all i can think about is food. Im sure it will get better.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Bob-47
on 7/20/14 7:41 am

This is my 5th day on my pre-op diet. (sleeve set for July 30th) I guess I am lucky for we are allowed to have some soft foods as well.Cottage cheese,oatmeal,sugar free pudding, low cal soups Carnation instant breakfast drinks and all sugar free liquids. I am able to mix it up a lot and am not getting tired of it yet. Is going pretty well if I must say and I do feel great.Hang in there. Time will go fast and just keep your eye on the goal.Good Luck.

Valerie G.
on 7/20/14 9:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Might you have lactose intolerance?  Whey protein drinks set my stomach into serious gurgles.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active