pressure is on to make the decision is getting REAL close, any feedback so welcomed!!!!

Bonnie250
on 7/19/14 4:00 am
RNY on 08/25/14

ok, so all my classes are finished. Its July 19th and I have an appt to meet with my surgeon Thursday! This appt is to discuss which surgery to have, the sleeve or RNY. I have acid reflux, so i have concerns abt sleeve worsening the reflux. I also like the fact that sweets (sugar) isnt tolerated with RNY....That can put a halt to a sweet tooth REAL quick. However I feel the FEAR of the RE-ROUTING and invasiveness of the RNY, originally wanted the SLEEVE, now i just wonder should i have the RNY~ I keep going back and forth with my decision. Any feedback greatly appreciated.....ALSO, my patient coordinator told me my appt on THURSDAY may be my PRE-OP appt with surgeon if paperwork gets done in time, that means my surgery date make be closer than i think! I started the diet today....so i gotta DECIDE SOON!!!!! help!!!!!!

Kaydensmomma10
on 7/19/14 4:48 am - Columbus, OH

Alot of surgeons won't do VSG if you already have pre existing acid reflux. :/ the thought of re routing does worry me some, but I think of it this way Rny has a great success rate, been around a lot longer than any other WLS and lastly you will never feel the difference in your intestines. Good luck!! 

Bonnie250
on 7/19/14 1:39 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

i know, ((SIGH)) lots to think about, and i forgot to mention i do have a hiatal hernia, which my surgeon will repair during my WLS....so that should, or could help the reflux. I cant wait till Thursday, and talk to him further....

Valerie G.
on 7/19/14 6:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

WLS is invasive, and each of these procedures work a different way, so don't fall for the "less invasive, more invasive" ploys and opinions.  What does your body need?  Do you simply need to eat less (has that worked in the past), or do you need a metabolic change?  Are you willing to live with even worse reflux or consider a surgery to repair your reflux to enable the vsg?  The dumping syndrome is only present in about half of RNY's, so don't count on that as a deterrent.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Bonnie250
on 7/19/14 1:36 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

thanks for your input, i have a hiatal hernia my surgeon will repair during my WLS, so that may help tremendously. thanks again!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/19/14 6:34 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I went with the vsg and I also had Gerd b4 the surgery but my case was very mild, so mild I didn't even know I had it till they did an endoscopy, I just thought my stomach was being fussy again. The gerd was probably caused by the hiatial hernia they found & it was repaired during surgery. I haven't had any problems so far & I am on a ppi which will be finished with in a couple of months. Glad I went with the vsg, I didn't want my intestines re-routed and I wanted to have the option of taking nsaids which I heard you can't take with the rny. Good luck with whatever you choose!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Bonnie250
on 7/19/14 1:33 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

thanks for your input, YES, i also have a hiatal hernia that my surgeon will repair, so i still lean towards the sleeve, as of now....best of luck to you! thanks again.

MsBatt
on 7/19/14 7:35 am

U suggest you start by making a list of the pros and cons for each surgery. Think also about who each will impact any medical issues you have, or are likely to have in the future.

ALL surgery is invasive, so just cross that off your list right now.

The RNY has been around as a WLS the longest, but the VSG/Sleeve has been performed to treat stomach cancer, ulcers, etc., for over a century now---it's not as if they don't completely understand the mechanics of it.

The RY will limit the medications you'll be able to take, both OTC and prescription. NSAIDs, 99.99% of all OTC pain relievers/anti-inflammatories, are big no-no after the RNY. With the VSG, you're at no more risk from NSAIDs that you are right now. Also, since the RNY bypasses some of the upper portion of your small intestine, most extended-release meds won't work for you afterwards. Some meds you may not be able to absorb at all.

Neither surgery will make you stop liking sweets. About 30% of people who get the RNY will sometimes have dumping syndrome after eating sweets. This may or may not be a permanent thing. It may also be very variable---you may be able to eat X today, and tomorrow X may make you so sick you want to die.

Acid reflux---well, much of this depends on WHY you have acid reflux. Do you have a hiatal hernia? About half the population does, and the majority of MO people do. Getting it repaired, if you have one, usually stops reflux cold. RNY has long been considered the go-to surgery to treat non-hernia related reflux, but there is NO guarantee it will. Some people develop reflux after the Sleeve. I chose the DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach, and it completely cured my reflux. (And it was BAD---I often slept sitting up because of it.)

YOU are the only person who can know what's best for you. Don't let anyone else choose for you, and don't be rushed into making a decision. It's far better to postpone surgery than to have the wrong kind.

Bonnie250
on 7/19/14 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

Thanks so much for your input, it was helpful. YES i do have a hiatal hernia that he will repair during the surgery!  Thanks again!

Pamela M.
on 7/19/14 7:51 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I am in the exact same spot and timing, meeting with doctor on Monday morning. Still undecided which surgery to have. Very serious choice and negative and positives for both. Ugh!

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Most Active