Need help getting back on track...

MsBea
on 7/18/14 1:18 am, edited 7/18/14 10:46 am - MN

Hi,

I have been away for a while, had RNY on my birthday 2006,--new life-- lost 150 lbs of my 300 and maintained it a year or so and slowly went back to my old ways.  I am filled with self-contempt over regaining.  I have regained all but 50 lbs...

I eat like I used to eat prior to surgery.  Is there hope for me?  Have I ruined my bypass?

Can you give me any encouragement or a kick in the butt or both?  I would appreciate everything....

Cathy W.
on 7/18/14 1:59 am

No kicks in the butt necessary.  You've reached out for support and are back.  That's what matters.

Regaining weight is unfortunately common.  I've had RNY and had two bumps up of weight regain.  I've lost it but it losing it is more like I did before the benefits of having the RNY.  It is slow but as long as you stick to a nutrition plan, don't graze (my downfall), avoid simple carbs (another downfall of mine) and exercise, it will come off. 

I wrote down a list of why I wanted surgery in the first place.  I also didn't change everything cold turkey.  I took one habit that I returned to and worked on that for a month (or more).  Grazing was my first thing.  It was hard but I stopped grazing and had one planned snack.  I worked on that until I felt solid in that habit - around six weeks.  Next, I minimized the simple carbs-then I stopped them.  That took four weeks.  All of the bad habits that I had returned to I worked on each one rather than everything all at once.  That is what worked for me.  Find out what works for you.

Check out the Back On Track Together OH Group.  (Disclaimer.....it is my OH Group but I'd recommend it even if it wasn't!)

Keep posting.  There's something about hanging out on the boards that helped me.  Just being with other members, reading posts, posting myself kept me focused on getting AND staying on track.  The more I posted myself and supported others, I really got more support for myself. 

MsBea
on 7/18/14 9:46 am - MN

Dear Cathy,

Thank you so much for your response to my post.  I remember your picture from way back. 

It just feels like such a long battle...I have started over so many times, being heavy and comforted by food since I was a child.  As a teen and young adult I tried everything.  Permanent weight loss....always fleeting.

RNY seemed to be an answer to my prayers and it was for a while, but, of course, my fixation with food got in the way again...

I have said time and again if I didn't snack and graze , ate 3 meals a day, with life in between. (From the old saying "3 meals a day with noting in between.")

Thank you, I will go to the BOTT group.

I will try again.  I appreciate your encouragement!Betty

NoDaybut2Day
on 7/18/14 2:16 am - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

Of course there is hope for you!!!  This weight loss thing is a mountain of struggle for everyone.  You know what you need to do to achieve what you want.  You did it once before and you can get back there!  I love Cathy's advice.  Look up, pick your path and take one step at a time.  You'll get back to the top of the mountain! 

Keep coming back here and/or reach out to groups in your area!!!!  I think support groups help us realize we're in a lifelong pact to help ourselves be the best selves we can be.  Our relationships to food are different than those who are not or have never been obese.  It's good to hear all the voices of those who know what it's like. 

You can achieve any weight loss you want to!! I believe in you!

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

MsBea
on 7/18/14 9:50 am - MN

Hi!

Thank you so much for answering my post, affirming and encouraging me, and reminding me that I am not an normal eater and need to take better care of myself.

I will try the BOTT group.  Thank you for believing in me!

Most Active