Females: Pregnancy & Reconstructive Surgery....

TMOakley
on 7/17/14 11:07 pm

I'm 16mos post-op, and down 136lb! I'm technically not "at goal", but I'm super happy about my weight loss! I'm smaller now than I was in high school! I have 2 things that are weighing on my mind though..... I absolutely hate my excess skin. My arms look bad, but they don't really bother me as much as my abdomen and breasts (or lack thereof). I'm not sure what to expect with abdominoplasty and breast augmentation, so if you have any advice, it is welcome. Also, I want to have a baby in the near future, but am not sure what to watch for or be concerned about before/during pregnancy. I was married, but my husband passed away, and I am since in a serious relationship with someone. He wasn't there when I went through my weight loss surgery, and he doesn't understand alot about my body and what I need now. He is terrified at the thought of having a baby because he's worried that since surgery, it could be dangerous for me and/or the baby....again, any advice would help!

Jiliana2
on 7/18/14 1:01 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I can't really advise you on any plastics, as I've not had any done.

However, I have heard that women who wish to become pregnant should probably go through the pregnancy first, and THEN look at plastics after the baby weight is gone. I'm told that plastics are only a good idea if you have lost your weight and maintained your loss for at least a full year. Otherwise it may be a waste of money.

The other thing to keep in mind: what are your surgeon's guidelines for pregnancy? I know that here, we are asked to use at least two forms of birth control for two full years post-op, and only then is it safe to get pregnant. Check with your center. You may find some information there. I'm told the reasoning for this is because of the strict dietary guidelines we need to follow post-op regarding protein and calories. Many of us would be hard pressed to get enough calories in to support a pregnancy in the year or two after WLS.

On another note: I am sorry to hear about your husband's passing, but I do hope this new relationship is fulfilling. When the time is right to have kids, you will know!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Cathy W.
on 7/18/14 1:47 am

Try posting the post on these boards so other members can provide information:

Pregnancy After WLS
Plastic Surgery

Jmoore6911
on 7/18/14 5:10 am, edited 7/18/14 5:11 am - York, PA

I have had 2 healthy babies post op ... my daughter is now 5 and I have a 5 month old son ... just with everything you need to keep up with the vitamins eat right and you will do just fine ... as far as plastics go ... yes if I were you I would wait especially if you plan on having a baby soon ... then once you are done having the children you want go for it! I am finally looking into it now and I will be 9 yrs post op in October

Most Active