One month post op.....nervous

calasara
on 7/17/14 4:06 am
VSG on 06/25/14

This is my first post on any of the forums.  I have my one month post op visit tomorrow and although I can see that I am losing, I am so nervous about what the scale is going to say.   I don't have any idea how much I've lost because my surgeon made me promise not to weigh myself until the appointment.  I have not deviated from the post op instructions, and don't know what would be 'good', 'better' or 'best' for results.  Any thoughts or suggestions from those more experienced? 

Kate -True Brit
on 7/17/14 4:19 am - UK

Welcome! I am not sleeved so loss for me was a slower process but I really wouldn't worry. Your doctor is taking a really sensible stance -not to get hung up on numbers on a scale! Weight loss is not always steady and it can surprise either way; faster than we expect, or slower than we hope! 

If you feel the need to guess, I suggest thinking of a worst case scenario. Then anything more will feel great! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Tracy D.
on 7/17/14 5:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you'd like to get a feel for what others have lost (and I caution you NOT to compare yourself against anyone) then stroll over to the VSG forum, read some of those posts and look at people's weight loss tickers at the bottom of their posts.  You'll get a feel for how much people have lost or are losing each month.  

I always looked for someone who was around my age, my height and started off about the same weight as me.  Even though I've warned you not to compare yourself, I know you'll probably do it anyway - lol!  Just make sure you're not comparing apples-to-oranges 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Cathy W.
on 7/17/14 7:30 am

My surgeon told me the same thing of not getting on the scale.  It was a good thing.  I could tell my weight loss by my increasingly baggy clothes. 

Rest assured as long as your following your surgeon's nutritional plan, you'll be just great. 

The scale isn't the only measurement of success by a long shot.  The scale will naturally show your losses but focus on the NSV's (Non-Scale Victories).  Are your clothes baggy, are you able to wear clothes that you haven't in a long time, are you able to move around easier, decreased or stop medications you were on pre-op, etc.  Focus on the NSV's and record them.  A great place to keep track of your NSV's is on your OH Blog.  You'll want to refer and celebrate them. 

Good luck tomorrow but I doubt you'll need it as you'll do great.

Balboa908
on 7/18/14 7:41 am

How did it go? :)

calasara
on 7/23/14 9:27 pm
VSG on 06/25/14

Been busy as I have been back to work.  Appointment with surgeon went well and I was down 10 lbs from surgery date in three weeks.  However, they noted that I was retaining a lot of water weight and put me on a light diuretic, which I was on prior to surgery.  Within the next week I was down another 10 pounds, so I am now at 4 full weeks from surgery and 24 pounds down from surgery day weight, 51 pounds down overall from highest weight.  Feeling great, walking at least 15 miles a week, which isn't a huge amount but I have goals to get to 20 miles by August. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!  And thanks for your comments and support.

Most Active