Post op bad self esteem....

catbren
on 7/20/14 9:50 am

I am having terrible self image self esteem issues, do I need to go see a therapist, or psychologist? I am 6 months post op dropped 60+ lbs, had the RNY .  I am terrified that I am going to gain weight back, also my hair is falling out at a alarming rate.  I am worried about what people think of what I look like especially my husband. Exausted of thinking about it all!!!

Kimberlyo
on 7/20/14 10:10 am - CA
RNY on 04/28/14

Honey you are beautiful inside and out! Talk to friends, we are all on the same boat! We will be watching you and helping you, I for one know you don't want to go back there! 

Kimberly O

teachnaz
on 7/20/14 10:29 am

Do you have any support groups you can attend?  If not, I see nothing wrong with going to talk to somebody who is familiar with weight loss issues.  Take care.

Hislady
on 7/20/14 11:30 am - Vancouver, WA

WLS is a huge life changing thing and often seeing a thereapist for awhile is a great thing and can help you sort things out and change behaviors more easily. Plus there are hormone changes with weight loss that can be difficult to handle too. 

As far as the hair goes that is common with any surgery and only lasts a few months and then it grows back in, it is called telogen effluvian you can google it for more info. We all worry about weight regain but I think if you take advantage of your honeymoon time and learn the new eating habits needed that you can catch it before it gets out of line and bring it right back down. There are hundreds of people here who have done it for many years so I know it can be done.

Tulip4
on 7/20/14 11:53 am - Canada

WOW, at my stage, just setting up an appt. in Mexico for bariatric sleeve surgery, I don't mean to be insensitive and I'm not, but boy, in my condition now, I'd die for your problems, 60 lbs less. But I would think that the hair falling out might be a shock to your system having less "nutrition" as it was used to, probably for a long time. I'm thinking maybe seeing your GP about it, maybe you can fix the problem with some kind of replacement medication?

I guess it would be scary for me as I have long hair and it would devastate me! Thanks for the heads up on this possibility! I'm going to research what could be missing from the food that's doing that.

When you  say you're worried about what your husband thinks, are the results that shocking? I'm a step or two behind you so it's making me think too.

But right now, all I can think of is the gorgeous clothes I can wear again and self confidence...

Who knows, I know people will ask what happened to me... and frankly you are right, what to say... People are so closed minded about this yet. I think it will take some time before this procedure and results are openly accepted. What can I say?

I wish you all the best, and hope I just feel super happy and confident... I'm going to have to figure out what to say I guess when I get to it!

Take care !

Eva   

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/21/14 6:48 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Hair loss is a very common side effect after WLS.  It's called telogen effluvium.  There's nothing you can do to prevent it.  If it's going to happen to you, it will.  It usually occurs between months 3-4.  No amount of biotin, protein or magic potions will stop it.

All you can do it eat a healthy diet with a lot of protein, take your vitamins and hope it ends sooner rather than later.  I'm seven months post op and the hair loss has slowed down.  It was brutal at 3-1/2 months, but I survived by remembering that it's temporary and this too shall pass.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

catbren
on 7/21/14 10:08 am

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about, whole new set of problems, if you are getting the sleeve I recommend the RNY procedure, from what I learned at my classes the possibilitys to loose wieght are better with that procedure. I have seen friends get the sleeve and not get the results. Your gonna do great thanks for your input.

Ladytazz
on 7/20/14 2:58 pm

In spite of what the world may think, our worth is not tied into our appearance.  No matter how beautiful you are eventually it fades and you may find yourself chasing something you can't get, a fountain of  youth.

Your husband seems to already have figured out that you had a weight problem.  He signed up with you no matter your appearance.  

What people think about me is none of my business.  Of course it is nice if they think good things but just because they do doesn't make it so.

I learned that if I wanted good self esteem then I needed to do esteemable things.  My worth is not determined by what I look like, it is determined by how I treat others and what I do to make life better for others.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jastypes
on 7/21/14 5:20 am - Croydon, PA

It is so true.  Self-esteem and body image issues do NOT disappear just because half of our weight does!  Therapy can definitely be helpful, as can support groups for WLS patients, and even groups like Overeaters Anonymous, which helps people deal with all kinds of issues relating to compulsive overeating and the recovery from same.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Gwen M.
on 7/21/14 8:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You should definitely see a therapist.  Mine has been a very important part of my post-op team!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active