Anyone know anything about medicaid paying for gastric sleeve procedure?

jennuhlynne
on 7/19/14 4:57 am - Algonac, MI

I am researching the idea of having the gastric sleeve, however I have Medicaid and I am not entirely sure if Medicaid pays for the procedure or not. Right now I have straight Medicaid. I am also looking for a surgeon that accepts Medicaid. I have found a couple, but I want to make sure I get a good surgeon so I can make a consultation and get this going!

If anyone can help with Medicaid questions, I would appreciate it very much!

MsBatt
on 7/19/14 7:19 am

Medicaid is a state program, and varies from state to state. These days, it seems it also varies according to who administers your particular policy. I suggest calling your social worker and asking this question.

MediCARE started covering the Sleeve several months back, but again, not everywhere for everybody. Health care in this country is largely incomprehensible.

MsShawna
on 7/19/14 10:21 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hi I know someone who has Medicaid and her VSG was covered I hope this helps.

Member Services
on 7/19/14 11:25 am - Irvine, CA

Hi,

This is a challenge but not impossible. The first step is to call Medicaid and or speak with the person that helps you with your benefits and find out if they cover WLS, if so what procedures, any pre-qualifications required. Ask they for a list of approved Bariatric surgeons that have been approved by the state. 

Email us if you need some help with finding a surgeon....  [email protected]

Regards,

Member Services

ShadowWolf3
on 7/19/14 2:39 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I have Medicaid and it covers the sleeve for me after I follow all their requirements.  It must be medically necessary but it depends on your plan.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

Most Active