Surrounded by Food during vacation

jennyq88
on 7/18/14 9:48 am

Soon my family will set off on a little vacation. I'll have been almost a month out of surgery and still on my soft foods during that time. There will surely be lots of good food and food aromas and restaurants filled with the same. Its going to be hard...I know it will be hard. I don't want to wander off while people are eating just because the temptation is too hard to take. Are there suggestions out there for ways to deal?..I want to be upbeat and social while abstaining in the midst of people who are savoring the food at the table. I want to have fun. This is vacation dammit.  

Gwen M.
on 7/18/14 11:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I went on vacation 5 weeks post-op which, for me, was finished with purees and on to soft solids.  I picked the places we ate so that I can read their menus ahead of time and know that I'd have good options for food.  And it was surprisingly easy - I was worried it was going to be a lot harder.  I focused on eating slowly and trying to make my little meals last as long as my companions' normal meals, and I focused on good conversation.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kathkeb
on 7/18/14 11:42 am

You might be able to get away with not even ordering your own meal, and having a few bites from others, if they are willing.

I usually got my food and then put a small portion onto the bread plate ..... And that would be my meal.

I cut it up tiny ... Or you might still be eating mushies that you can't cut .... Ate slowly.

When my food was gone, I would pop a breath mint and be done.

You can take left overs if it makes sense, or not.

If your family goes out forMexican food, order a side of refried beans with cheese

If you go out forItalian, order a meatball and mu**** up, or eat the filling from one manicotti.

Flaky fish came very soft, you can get a scoop of tuna salad at sandwich shops.

You can share with others or just 'get over' the fact that you will be paying for more than you can eat ... It is sort of the 'price of admission' .... And if food has to go to waste, so be it.

Enjoy the company, have fun!!!!

Kath

Most Active