UTI and hard time finding medication that i am allowed to take.

KARENSINAY
on 7/17/14 2:40 am

Hi my name is Karen had the gastric sleeve about a year ago. My dr told me I was only to take tablets and had to be crushed after surgery. my obgyn and pharmacist are having a hard time finding a mediation that I am allowed to take. does anyone have any suggestion????? I am overwhelmed..... :(

Kate -True Brit
on 7/17/14 5:33 am, edited 7/17/14 5:34 am - UK

I suggest posting this on the VSG board. I am not sleeved so can't be certain, but I am fairly sure when similar questions have been asked before, sleevers have said they take tablets.

Being banded, I can't swallow large tablets but when I need anti-biotics (which I am guessing is what you need?), my doc prescribes them in liquid form. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 7/17/14 5:36 am - OH

Why do they have to be crushed?  I suggest calling your doctor that told you your meds must be crushed and asking for advice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hollykim
on 7/17/14 7:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I have never crushed my meds and have taken anything that has been prescribed for me ,post op,just fine,even NSAIDS.

sound like your surgeon is lumping his sleeve patients in with his rnyers. 

The sleeve stomach is exactly the same as it was pre op,only smaller. You should be able to take anything now that you took pre op withno problem. Please note that this is. My opinion only.

gl

rocky513
on 7/17/14 7:23 am - WI

I'm an RNY patient and was swallowing whole pills before I left the hospital.  I have NEVER crushed a pill.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

poet_kelly
on 7/17/14 12:21 pm - OH

RNY patients don't need to crush their meds.  I've never crushed anything.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/17/14 8:36 am - OH

I cannot imagine why your surgeon would require crushed meds after a VSG, and especially not a year later!  Unlike a RNYer, nothing about your anatomy has changed other than having part of your stomach removed so crushing meds would be kind of pointless even right after surgery let alone a year later.

I would call and ask your surgeon's office why you would need to only take tablets ANd why you would need to crush them.  It just doesn't make sense.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kerriockey
on 7/17/14 12:46 pm - Marshfield, MA

Macrobid....antibiotic specifically for utis. It's a capsule you can open and sprinkle in yogurt etc.

Cindy B.
on 7/17/14 1:47 pm
VSG on 10/22/12

I've been on antibiotics a couple of times since having the VSG and haven't had any problems. I ended up sick about 6 weeks after surgery and got one in a liquid form, but since then I've just gotten normal ones. I don't recall being told to take my pills crushed after the first little while. I would check with my surgeon to make sure he still wants you taking crushed pills this far out.

Surgery weight 255     GW 140     CW 128

Jiliana2
on 7/18/14 1:07 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had a sleeve in February of this year. My surgeon said that yes, we needed to crush pills immediately after surgery, but that was only for a week or two at most. After that, we are completely free to swallow any pill/tablet that we can. Including NSAIDs, antibiotics, etc.

I suggest to check again with your surgeon, but I would expect that you would have no trouble at this point swallowing any pill. I take oodles of supplements daily (Vitamin D, Calcium, iron, multivitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin B12, etc.) all in pill form and I don't have any problem swallowing them at all.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active