Knee injections and knee replacements

Racewalker48
on 7/16/14 10:57 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I've had Hyalgan and Synvisc One injections, along with cortisone in both knees with little pain relief.  After no longer being able to exercise without pain (and rapidly gaining weight), I had my left kneecap replaced (the only diseased part of my knee) in March 2014 and will have the right done in October 2014.  Not sure if it will be a kneecap or a total knee, my surgeon will determine that once he opens me up.  My left knee doesn't click per se, it's more like a soft clunk, but it's not always noticeable and really doesn't bother me.  I'm glad I had it done and lost weight, as I can now exercise on the treadmill or elliptical without discomfort.  

56sunShine14
on 7/17/14 1:05 am

I got the clunking you mentioned.  No biggie.  It went away.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Cathy W.
on 7/17/14 1:22 am

I miss being able to be active.  I never thought I'd say it but...I miss my treadmill!  We've had season passes to one of my favorite parks and we haven't been able to use them because of my knee issues.  We just keep renewing them (at no charge).  I will celebrate when I'm able to get back on my treadmill and go to the park. 

I've never been a fan of exercise but taking it away makes me appreciate the ability to do it again. 

DeafNatural
on 7/16/14 2:23 pm - Winter Haven
RNY on 08/06/14

I have advanced osteoarthritis in my knee and I've been doing some research on stem cell therapy. Well because I'm too young for a replacement and I refuse to get shots. Not sure if you believe in that sort of thing but it my be worth looking into it or seeing if your insurance will cover it as an alternative to having your knee replaced.

High: 385 lbs     Start: 376 lbs           Current: 328.5 lbs.         Goal: 125 lbs

“The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday.”  -Steve Maraboli

56sunShine14
on 7/17/14 1:06 am

I would still be interested in what you find out.  That wasn't available to me.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Deborah B.
on 7/17/14 1:08 am

The surgeon told me and my brother we are too young for replacements. He insisted anyway and got his surgery. Thinking of doing that too, in the fall. We need our knees now, right? Best of luck with the stem cell therapy, I'd like to know more about that too!

Cathy W.
on 7/17/14 1:26 am

Thanks for the suggestion on your research.  My insurance wouldn't even cover the Synvisc One injection so I'm sure they probably wouldn't cover it.  It is worth looking into. 

56sunShine14
on 7/17/14 1:52 am

You know what then Cathy, if they won't cover it, find one that does.  You are or have had (don't know) WLS and for what if you can't walk?

Karen

Deborah B.
on 7/17/14 1:01 am

Yes, I had the cortisone injections too. They helped but still in a lot of pain. You probably know this but be sure to wear supportive footwear. Orthopedic surgeon wanted to give me new gel injections a couple of months later but said they only work in 1 in 5 people so I opted out for now. Why keep injecting foreign substances in the body if they may not help and who knows the long term effects.

Have you decided to get the surgery? They have come a long way with knee replacements. My brother who is a normal weight, just got them last year is very happy and he's had several knee surgeries in the past.

I'd like to know how you do with this. 

Cathy W.
on 7/17/14 1:41 am

Right now, I've just finished with the round of three injections 1x/week.  I feel less pain than I did.  My ortho doc told me that I'll continue to feel less pain 6-8 weeks after my last injection.  I can get another round in six months (appointment already scheduled LOL).

I haven't made the decision as to when I'll have the surgery.  I'm hoping between the injections and cortisone shots that I can put it off a little while.  Although after reading the replies from everyone in the thread, I keep seeing they wish they'd done it sooner. 

When the time comes or other issues come up, I'll post as I've obtain wonderful information and support which has really helped me. 

Most Active