Knee injections and knee replacements

Cathy W.
on 7/16/14 6:14 am

From years of being obese, it has caught up with me.  My knees are bone on bone.  I've recently had the injections at an ortho surgeon to help me to be able to move.  Before the injections, I was in so much pain just going from my family room to the kitchen.  I'm hoping the injections help but the reality is that I probably have knee replacements ahead of me. 

I've researched and some of the possible outcomes are your knee clicking as you walk after having knee replacements.  Has anyone had the injections and knee replacements, and what is your experience? 

Gwen M.
on 7/16/14 6:53 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My experience is secondhand - I was my dad's caretaker when he recovered from knee replacement.  It was a really great experience for him, he had been in a lot of pain and was having mobility issues.  He'd done shots for as many years as he could put surgery off, but he finally gave in.  

He hasn't had any clicking.  Recovery was a full time job for about 4 weeks.  He had an in-home physical therapist who came to the house a few times a week, but he also had a ton of exercises he had to do multiple times a day as well as putting his leg into a contraption that bent it automatically.  And lots of icing.  He also had a nurse visit once a week to check on him - she also took out his staples at the appropriate time.  He was allowed to go up and down the stairs in his house once per day.  

But, he had a great orthopedist and was happy to put off surgery for as long as he could.  The longer you can live without it, the better surgical technology there will be.  Of course, you've got to balance that with age, because it's easier to recover the younger you are.  But I think my dad was in his mid-60s at the time and, really, he did fine.  

I hope someone comments with first hand experience!  I was super involved in my dad's recovery, but I know it's not the same as experiencing it for yourself.  Good luck!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cathy W.
on 7/17/14 12:47 am

Thanks for sharing your dad's experience and recovery.  I have a good orthopedist like your dad did so I'm confident with his care. 

Your dad was lucky to have you involved in his recovery. 

Bette B.
on 7/16/14 8:03 am

I just (just week) finished a 3-injection round of Euflexa. I've got less pain than before the shots, but I know that the injections will only go so far; they're not going to improve the joints.

I, too, am "bone on bone" (stage 4 osteoarthritis) and know that replacements will have to be in my future. I just started a job a month or so ago and won't have vacation time for at least a year, so I am going to have to make do until then.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/16/14 1:48 pm - OH

I'm not advocating starting a new job and then immediately taking off for non-emergency surgery, but don't you have short term disability as one of your benefits?  Unless you get at least 4 weeks of vacation a year, just vacation time won't be enough to cover the time off for total knee replacement.  Standard time off work, even if you have a sedentary job, is 4-6 weeks.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cathy W.
on 7/17/14 12:53 am

We're in the exact same situation - I just finished the 3 1x/week Euflexa injections.  I too feel less pain.  My doctor told me that it will take 6-8 weeks to fully benefit from the injections so I'm encouraged.  I know the injections are merely a band-aid and that replacements are in my future at some point as well.

Thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/16/14 9:56 am - OH

I did Synvisc One injections in my knees for 5 years wine losing 190 pounds did very little to ease the pain in my knees.  The Synvisc helped a LOT the first time, but didn't help the worst of my two knees very much (or for very long) after that (and I did the injections every 6 months like clockwork).  They did help the right knee, by less and less as time went on.

i finally broke down and had my left knee replaced last March and my right knee replaced last November.  I waited for almost 3 years, not only because my surgeon prefers not to do replacements before someone is 50 (because they can only do them twice) but because I was scared to death!  Some people have great experiences and some have horrible experiences, and I was afraid I would be one of the latter.

Yes, I noticed a lot of clicking/popping in my new knees at first, but I rarely notice it now at a little over a year out from the first one and a little over 6 months out on the second one).  I don't know if it is because the clicking/popping has lessened as the stiffness has lessened, or whether I am just getting used to it, but it really wasn't a big deal even when I noticed it quite a bit.  It didn't hurt... it was just weird feeling and a reminder that these are not the knees my momma gave me! Most people I have talked to have also indicated that the clicking sensation fades.  They don't know which it is (fading or acclimation), either, LOL.

The new knees still feel a little different, but you get used to it, and it is WONDERFUL to be able to walk without any pain!  I still have some stiffness occasionally, mostly in the most recently replaced knee, and some discomfort when they are very stiff, but nothing I would categorize as pain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Bette B.
on 7/16/14 10:39 am

Some people have great experiences and some have horrible experiences, and I was afraid I would be one of the latter.

That's MY fear, too!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Cathy W.
on 7/17/14 1:06 am

Like you, I already have the six month date scheduled to get another round of injections.  LOL

I appreciate you sharing your experience.  I know I could get knee replacements now but I'm scared to death.  Scared of the complications and if I'll be one of the post-ops that have great experiences or the bad experiences.  When I had WLS, I didn't have the fears that I do with knee replacements. 

I miss taking walks and just not being in pain.  It is reassuring that now you are able to walk without any pain.  Gives me hope.

Thanks very much!

56sunShine14
on 7/17/14 1:35 am

Cathy, please do not fear knee replacements!  I am not an expert but firmly believe that everyone recovers differently.  Also that of those who do not have a good experience, either they have other complications not related or they failed to do the physical therapy required after these surgeries.  I will bet anything, most did not do the work!  It is imperative.

What I hated was getting rid of the knee pain only to exchange it with a spine and neck full of osteo arthritis that has put me on disability now.  But my knees are wonderful!

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active