Confused. Band or sleeve?

Tiffany B.
on 7/14/14 3:30 pm

I'm in weight loss surgery process right now, doing my 6-month diet that's required by my insurance - had my EGD this past Friday. I'd initially chosen the lap band (prematurely, because that's practically all I'd ever heard of besides gastric bypass), but I've been doing some research and I'm a little spooked. I'm leaning toward the sleeve, but I've also read that weight gain after 3+ years is almost inevitable with that one. I'm lost. I'd like to hear from anyone who's done the sleeve and has had POSITIVE results even after the 3-year “window”. My doctor is pushing the band, so all I can gather from that is that he's making some sort of incentive off it. Any opinions, experiences (good and bad), and/or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

ladygodiva1228
on 7/15/14 1:34 am, edited 7/15/14 1:37 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I want to be honest with you as a 10 year bandster who is in the process of revising to the bypass.  I would skip the band and go with the sleeve. 

There are some long term bandsters who have had little or no issues at all, but there are many who are revising to a different WLS or even just having their bands out. 

Post on the VSG board there are numerous long term people that have done great with the sleeve.

Its funny your doctor is pushing the band, most won't even place a band anymore. 

Good Luck in your decision.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Carfigure
on 7/15/14 3:03 am

I would go for the sleeve or bypass. I just had revision from band to gastric bypass 20 days ago.  My band didn't do anything for me I had it for 21/2 years I wish I would have never done it. But u live n learn. Don't gete wrong I've heard of ppl who has had success with the band but I've also heard of lots of ppl it didn't work for them including myself.  Also remember with the band u have to constantly go to doc to get refills with a big needle I'm not scared of needle but some r. Good luck. 

Kate -True Brit
on 7/15/14 5:30 am - UK

Please bear in mind that I am a very happy and very successful bandit now 8 years post-op.i do not regret my band, would do it all over again and if I ever have to have it removed, I would hope to have a replacement.

When I was banded in 2006, it was a miracle surgery. And for some people, who accept that they will still have to work hard, it is just that. It was and still is for me. But over the years it has become clear that serious complications necessitating further surgery are much more common than originally thought, some of these are avoidable by careful eating and by not keeping the band tight; unfortunately others are beyond our control.

We used to be warned about band slips, leaks and about ( very rare) erosion into the stomach tissue but it turns out that a build up of scar tissue round the band (causing it to tighten) is common. It can be very difficult to get the right level of restriction and some people are tempted to keep it tight enough to physically limit food, in fact it was once thought this was how it should be. But this causes food to back up into the oesophagus and that risks problems such as oesophageal dysmotility which may be irreversible. It can also damage the vagus nerve.

The band makes it easier by dimming hunger, but it does nothing for head hunger and, contrary to popular opinion, it does not and should not physically stop us eating. If it does it is too tight! Having said all that, I love my band, I know many successful long term bandits.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 7/15/14 6:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There used to be a board dedicated to Lapband failures and complications, but it seems to be removed.  Here are some others to get some insight.  I wouldn't recommend the band, though.  I've seen too many nightmares unravel over the years.  Also, add the duodenal switch to your research.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/any_wls_regrets/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/complications/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/failed_wls_second_time_around/

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 7/15/14 11:10 am

Some weight gain---usually around 10%---about three years post-op is pretty common with ALL WLS types. Long-term studies show that the Sleeve and the RNY/gastric bypass have about the same long-term results, with both being better than the long-term results for the Band.

The Duodenal Switch if the form of WLS with the least amount of regain, statistically speaking. The DS has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass, but given your BMI of only 38, restriction only *might* be all that you need. Certainly if you want a restriction-only procedure, I'd definitely recommend the Sleeve over the Band.

Braceface
on 7/15/14 11:20 am
RNY on 04/24/14 with

My surgeon does not recommend the band and does surgery to remove bands more than place them. When I was looking at surgical options with a bmi in the 30s my concerns were how long would I be out of work and which would have the best long term results between sleeve and bypass? The consensus was that bypass has better long term results and has been studied the most. Bypass also has the longest recovery time unfortunately. The other concern I had with sleeve was the increased risk of acid reflux which I suffered from occasionally presurgically. I bit the bullet and opted for bypass and couldn't be happier. I returned to work after one week exactly and have had few issues since surgery. 

Good do luck with your decision. 

Tiffany B.
on 7/15/14 1:01 pm

Thanks to each and every one of you for your input, I still have a lot of homework to do on this one.. it helps to hear real experiences; even though everyone is different and will have different results (not in general, just by personal makeup). I'm new here, and I didn't know there was a board specifically dedicated to my original post. So, I shall carry on my journey, I pray I make the right decision. I'm already devoted to the hard work I'll have to endure afterwards, no matter which procedure I have. I need a change, and this will (hopefully) be my best one yet. :)

Nic M
on 7/15/14 1:27 pm

You couldn't pay me to go through banding again.  I can't really even describe the amount of damage that thing did to me.  The band is torturous and I wouldn't recommend it until any cir****tances. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active