On the fence..

mommylove82
on 7/16/14 5:26 am

So I was originally set to get surgery (RNY) early April. I decided to postpone it some until my daughter was a little bigger and preferably in a toddler bed since I wouldn't have help during the day and couldn't be lifting her in and out of the crib.

She's coming up on 2 now though and we're getting ready to transition to that bed and I'm thinking about getting the wheels in motion to reschedule surgery.

All of a sudden though I am on the fence on which surgery to get. I was completely set on RNY and now I find myself re-thinking it and possibly doing VSG. What made you decide if you were on the fence? 

Cathy W.
on 7/16/14 6:00 am

Research.  Research.  Research.  It is important to check out the various surgeries.  Check out the RNY and VSG message boards.  Read posts from members on both boards and post what you've posted here. 

Sammy D.
on 7/16/14 6:17 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I'm like you, I originally decided on lap band, but after seeing all the long term of having to constantly go to the doctor, I decided on the VSG. I know RNY is the elder of the two procedures, but to me the fact that no plumbing is rerouted is the main reason I'm choosing VSG.

MsBatt
on 7/17/14 5:16 am
On July 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM Pacific Time, smoothasconcrete6977 wrote:

I'm like you, I originally decided on lap band, but after seeing all the long term of having to constantly go to the doctor, I decided on the VSG. I know RNY is the elder of the two procedures, but to me the fact that no plumbing is rerouted is the main reason I'm choosing VSG.

Actually, the basic procedure of the VSG has been done for well over a century. Not as a stand-alone WLS, but to treat stomach cancer, intractable ulcers, etc. Therefore, it's a very well-understood procedure.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/16/14 8:00 am

I made a list of all the pros and cons between RNY, sleeve and DS. I researched like crazy, and made sure I read every study available, and follow up data for all surgeries. I went back to my list, saw which issues were most important to me, and the choice then seemed so easy. 

mommylove82
on 7/16/14 8:38 am, edited 7/16/14 8:39 am

Thanks for your feedback guys :) I did a lot of research and talking with my doc and had originally decided that RNY was for me but it's crazy what just a few short months of thinking can do lol

I originally chose RNY because like said above it is the elder of the procedures and had the most long term research/studies and with my nerves I figured the ability to reverse wasn't so bad either lol and at the time the idea of "dumping" was a pro in my list. I've since changed my mind and moved it over lol 

I think now the VSG might be the right option for me. Not that any surgery isn't completely major but I think for me it's the less drastic of the 2 since there would be no re-routing and therefore less down time and that's always a good thing with a 2 year old under foot :) I'm also afraid of possible malnourishment with the RNY and I need to be able to stay as healthy and as strong as possible for my family. 

It's funny because when I first started this journey I was impatient with waiting for classes and appts and all the hoops and then after everything was completed I ended up postponing. I think maybe it was meant to be to get me where I am now so I could make the best decision for my procedure. 

MsBatt
on 7/17/14 5:24 am

RNYs are VERY difficult to reverse, and it's only done in extreme cases, where the patient is either about to die from problems caused by the RNY, or to revise to the DS (duodenal switch). Such revisions can be due to insufficient weight loss, regain, or complications specific to the RNY.

I wouldn't count on having less down-time with the VSG versus the RNY. Both are major surgery, and are going to need a minimum of six weeks to heal.

Malnutrition is possible with any form of WLS. Also, it's interesting to note that many obese people are actually malnourished. (We tend to eat badly, nutrition-wise.) While the VSG doesn't bypass any intestine, some people have trouble with protein malnourishment because they simply can't eat ENOUGH. No matter which form of WLS you get, you'll need to stay on top of your vitamins and minerals for the rest of your life.

If *I* had to choose between the VSG and the RNY, I'd go with the VSG. Long-term results are about the same, but the VSG keeps the pylorus in place, allows you to take NSAIDs, and avoids all the potential complications of the pouch/stoma combo. And, should it not give you as much help with your weight as you need, the VSG is easily revised to a full DS. (The DS has the best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/16/14 9:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I chose VSG because:

• I didn't like the idea of rerouting my intestines
  • I liked that surgery would remove part of the stomach that generates the hormone ghrelin which is responsible for hunger/cravings
  • I didn't want to give up the possibility of taking NSAIDS for the rest of my life
  • I didn't want to experience dumping syndrome
  • My surgeon said that people with the RNY initially will lose more weight, but statistically the weight loss is comparable for the RNY and VSG at the two year mark

I'm very happy with my surgery and have had no complications.  Whichever type you choose, I wish you the greatest success.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/14 12:38 am

I haven't done a surgery yet, but I would say Research, research and Research. Find out pros and cons of which, find out the consequences of which and see what your doctor says about them.

Most Active