Help!!!! I can't decide

Melissa0518
on 7/15/14 12:38 pm
with

I thought I had my mind made up with the gastric bypass surgery, but now not sure.. My doctor cancelled my surgery Monday because I  had a reaction from my band removal two weeks ago Monday. Went to the doctors today and got the all cleared for surgery. My doctor went on talking about the vertical sleeve. Now I'm so confused. I know this is just a tool. I know I have to reteach my mind and the way it thinks. I just thought  I had my mind set until he started talking about different opinions again. Can anyone tell me why they chose the gastric bypass over the sleeve or vice versa?

Carfigure
on 7/15/14 12:43 pm

To be honest I had revision from band to gastric bypass n it was done same day. 2 reasons y I chose gastric bypass one because if I had the sleeve my doc wouldn't remove band n do sleeve at the same time but if I had bypass she would. I also decide bypass because I'm diabetic.  Good luck to you. 

Melissa0518
on 7/15/14 12:47 pm
with

Thank you so much. I love ice cream, chocolate...so I thought this would be better for me. I just don't want this not to work again

Carfigure
on 7/15/14 5:04 pm

Trust me I know how u feel. I'm 3 weeks post op n I have that fear as well but I'm going to stay positive n hope for the best. I will leave it in Gods hands.  I will do my best. 

poet_kelly
on 7/15/14 10:22 pm - OH

Gastric bypass (or any other WLS) will not make you stop loving ice cream and chocolate.  Many people seem to think it will, but alas, that is not how it works.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 7/15/14 10:40 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I also want to add that not all bypass patients dump. I believe around only 30% do.

MsBatt
on 7/16/14 1:15 am

Just to confuse you even more, there's a third option your surgeon probably hasn't even mentioned to you, called the Duodenal Switch!

The Sleeve is a wonderful option, IF you lose weight easily through portion control alone. Since the Sleeve doesn't re-route your small intestine, it doesn't make as dramatic a change in your metabolism as the RNY/gastric bypass does. 

With the RNY, you'll get a malabsorption component, but keep in mind---while the RNY will cause you to always and forever malabsorb certain vitamins and minerals, you'll only malabsorb calories for about 18-24 months.

Long-term, the Sleeve and the RNY have about the same results.

The DS is basically a Sleeve plus an intestinal bypass, somewhat similar to that of the RNY, but more effective long-term. Unlike the RNY, the DS causes permanent malabsorption of calories, especially calories from fat. The DS has the very bet stats for long-term, maintained weight loss, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

You need to decide which form of WLS is right for YOU based on how you want to live the rest of your life. Look at how each procedure will change the way you live, how you eat, what medications you can or can't take, what medical issues you now have or have a family history of. You already know how frustrating it is to have the wrong form of WLS, so choose very carefully.

Melissa0518
on 7/16/14 5:22 am
with

Thank you so much. This really helps. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/16/14 8:10 am

First of all, I gathered data on my own because my surgeon was influenced by his schedule and skills. I have to live with this surgery for life, so I didn't appreciate being pushed toward a procedure that was faster/easier/more lucrative for him. Once I decided, that is what I was getting, and if changing a surgeon was necessary, so be it.

That said, I just looked at the things that were a big deal to me - dealing with high blood sugar, best chance at losing and maintaining, dealing with cholesterol issues, metabolic/PCOS issues, wanting to maintain my own pyloric valve to avoid dumping or reactive hypoglycemia, and wanting the smallest chance I'd need to revise to another surgery (if even possible). I was fine with taking supplements for life as is imperative with RNY or DS, but the DS addressed my needs the best. 

Valerie G.
on 7/16/14 11:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you got good results with the band, then you should see similar results with the sleeve without the band complications.  

If you did not get the results you hoped with the band, then I would step up the procedure to RNY or DS to get that metabolic boost to give you an edge.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active