I still think like a fat guy and that bothers me.

crosseyedwillie
on 7/15/14 1:47 am - NH

Last year at this time, the old chuck would go to a BBQ and eat 2 meatball sandwiches, (maybe sneak in a burger) pasta, potato salad, and still be looking for desert! lol! Trying not to make this the new Chuck, (especially after taking the initiative to get the surgery) but what did you guys do to get yourself into this new head space?

My mind knows "I just had Bariatric Surgery" but I still can't seem tom wrap my head around the new norm. When I look at the  food intake I am taking in, it just doesn't look like it would be enough to sustain a person? Evan when I think I am portioning things out, what I usually find is I have to take at least another quarter off that to be in the ballpark. Does that sound weird?

I have an appointment with my nutritionist next week and I ordered what I'd like to call "an idiot plate". A Tupperware container that if your protein fits in the slot and your vegetables do too, then you are eating hopefully the right portion sizes.  I am looking for person-to-person support groups to...In NJ they seem to only meet once a month. Suggestion to make this a success journey!

Carfigure
on 7/15/14 2:53 am

I know exactly how u feel.  

Ladytazz
on 7/15/14 4:09 am

This is still very new to you.  Even after 4 years I have a difficult time gauging portions sizes.  Just about every meal I serve myself my meal and look at it and my mind says "That will never be enough" and I tell myself if I am still hungry I can have more.  So far I've never had to take seconds.

I have the same problem grocery shopping.  I still shop like I am 240 lbs.  My fridge and freezer are stuffed with food, all pretty healthy and part of my eating but too much.  Especially perishable things.  I hate throwing things out but I buy so many fruits and vegetable that I can't get around to eating that I have to toss them.

I bought a food sealer and that helps a lot with leftovers but I still have to ask myself if I will really eat something before I buy it.  My eyes truly are bigger then my stomach.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/15/14 4:40 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am not an expert, but I relate to your post.  I will share something that has helped me to get my head around portion sizes.  I measure everything… I use both a food scale and measuring cups.  I realize that it's a PIA at first, but it becomes second nature.  It has taken the better part of the last six months to really "get" what correct portioning IS.  I don't waste food anymore.  Hope this helps some -- and a support group is a great idea!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jenorama
on 7/15/14 6:11 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I totally know what you're going through!  My husband and I would go to Sizzler on occasion and pre-surgery I would order and entree with the unlimited salad bar. I'd make nachos at their taco bar, then my entree and then some ambrosia salad for dessert.  The first time we went there after surgery, I just ordered an entree with no salad bar and thought to myself, "Will that be enough?"  I didn't even finish half of the entree and I knew I wouldn't, but I still had that "not enough" fear.  I'm getting better now that I'm 9 months out and I have a better understanding of what my intake is like, but those thoughts still creep in and will for a long time.  You'll get used to it.  That tupperware sounds like a good idea.  Let us know how it works out!  :D

Jen

Gwen M.
on 7/15/14 6:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I weigh everything before it goes on my plate at home for this reason because I know that I am not a good judge of what a portion is for me.  Thankfully, over time, this has helped me to better gauge what a portion is when I'm out.  But I still prefer being able to measure!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JuniperLane
on 7/15/14 6:12 pm

The different ways to approach eating is just crazy.  Half the time I do not know if I am crazy and feeding some eating disorder (disordered thinking about food).

Here is how I approach it, mainly because I have a lot of acid:

When I wake up I tend to start drinking a protein shake...  it takes me about 2 hours to drink an 8 ounce one (It is thick)  but omg...  it is so good, chocolaty with 30 grams of protein and 190 calories.  Later in the day I will have some chicken or something protein rich like cottage cheese (just had the 1/2 cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes and seriously had a moment of thanksgiving for how darn good it tasted).  I use the serving size and will take the time to eat slowly but FINISH the protein serving.    I do the same for dinner, with a high protein something or other.  I am constantly entering food into myfitnesspal and checking what my numbers are and what I need for the day.  Sometimes I get disinterested in the food after a while and deduct...  when I do that I typically fail to meet my protein requirements for the day. I might have something like some watermelon if I have the want and the nutritional room.

The problem with this way of eating is that it makes it hard to get in all of my fluid.  I drink a lot of tea during the day and some water.  I need to work on the water more although I do drink about 10-12 ounces when I do cardio like Tae bo or something.

I do not know if I am doing things right..  just thought I would tell you what I was doing. 

Good Luck!!!

Juniper

Surgery Date: 6/2/2014     Highest: 333     Pre-Op Diet:  305    Surgery Day:    291     Current:  255     

crosseyedwillie
on 7/16/14 12:02 am - NH

Do you have any problem with Chick since your surgery?

The only two time I have "thrown up" (don't want that to ever happen again!) was eating chicken. Maybe it was just eating to fast but this will suck because I am not a fish eater...more a steak, chicken and pork guy.

JuniperLane
on 7/16/14 2:52 am

:)  No, I have not had a problem with chicken...  its one of my go to foods.  I do, however, have general trouble because the acid in my stomach is really really bad and every morning for the last two weeks I am nauseous and I have to fight that throughout the day.  It is interesting.  Hmm...  have you ever tried seared Ahi tuna?  OMG, it is good.  But as you said, it might be from eating too fast...  heck, I don't know...  it's all a trial and error thing for me.

me2b
on 7/16/14 3:25 am

Chuck / Willie,

I dunno if you're a "detail kind of guy" or not.  But if you were to use My Fitness Pal (like I do) to track what you eat, what you find out very quickly (because MFP does all the calculations for you) is how many calories and grams of protein, fat, carbohydrates, sodium, fiber, and sugars your food contains.  It is pretty damn shocking how much of the food we "normally" eat isn't necessary for life.  In other words -- the bad fats, the carbohydrates from overly processed food with little in it except obesity-inducing extra calories, the stroke-inducing sodium -- it's truly an education.  

This education doesn't happen overnight.  It just oozes into your brain over time, until you realize:  I need to change the way I eat, just to become healthier -- even if I don't lose any weight.  

I'm happy you're going to meet a nutritionist.  I think you have a big education ahead of you.  Congratulations.  

Most Active