Brand new here and excited!

scarletred
on 7/11/14 9:55 am
VSG on 10/07/14

I'm new to the OH community and excited! 

I asked my P/C for a referral for a prior auth for bariatric surgery consultation back in April and it was approved within a few days. I went to a seminar in my home town last month for Del Sol bariatrics and at that point I was just researching,  and gathering information after spending my entire adult life obese. I'm 40 and started gaining weight as a middle schooler. I had 4 children and with each pregnancy I gained more than I was supposed to and lost very little of it with birth. I'm 5'7 and at my highest I weighed 317 lbs which was the end of January 2014.

I went to a consultation yesterday with Dr. Acosta and he says I'm definitely a  candidate for surgery and he recommended what I already had in mind: The sleeve. So now I have my lab/ekg orders etc and I've gotten the ball rolling! I'm really hopeful about the approval through my insurance, and I'm not wasting any time getting the required testing done. Then I need to be cleared for surgery from my P/C which shouldn't be a problem. I'm very lucky he's on board with the surgery. Once it's all done, we'll submit to the insurance and I should know within the next couple of months whether or not I'm approved! I couldn't be more excited!!

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

M1-22 M2-7 M3-XX M4-XX M5-XX M6-XX M7-XX M8-XX M9-XX M10-XX M11-XX M12-XX

Cheryl H.
on 7/11/14 11:46 am - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

You sound excited!  YAY!  I am pre-op diet now with my surgery scheduled for July 24th.  This site has tons of info and hopefully support.  I've found someone in another state having her surgery done on the same day and we are supporting each other.  I also found someone who is one year out of surgery and I contacted her about being part of my support network as well!  You don't have to do it alone and I know there will be challenges, especially with those that are emotionally invested in you.  I've already heard from people, "Are you SURE you want to do this???" when they realized I won't be cooking/baking/drinking with them anymore.  I know they mean well but that kind of support I don't need!!

Reach out to people and be proactive!  Keep that positive outlook! And when you struggle, talk about it....there's always someone to lend an opinion!  

kathie1212
on 7/11/14 12:04 pm - Stoney Creek , Canada

Welcome I am fairly  new here and also Pre op! I have had my seminar and blood work. I am slated for my registered nurse in October! I am sooooo pumped about this  New start! I have 6 kids and a very similar gain story Tried every diet in the book and lost lots and lots of weight only to gain it back with friends! I said all that to say welcome aboard im totally obsessed with this site now gleening so many tips from so many wonderful people!

nice to meet you  Im super excited too

Kathie

ShadowWolf3
on 7/12/14 1:16 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Welcome to OH! I'm just not quite new here had another account but forgot password and could not do send new one so just started new name.  I'm almost to the point of my journey to I can schedule my surgery!

I'm so excited been overweight since middle school and time for new me. I'm 46 a little late start but oh well.  I was suppose to have it done in 2000 but surgeon skipped town on me and then my work refused to cover it under insurance.

Anyways enough boring you and good luck to you!

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

scarletred
on 7/12/14 1:43 pm
VSG on 10/07/14

Thank you all for the welcome feeling! I scheduled my psychological evaluation yesterday, I have the first part of it this Thursday and the rest on the following Monday. Then I have an appointment with my P/C to get the lab work done and the EKG and all on the 25th. I'm feeling super excited! I was told at my consultation that I should expect surgery to be in around 3 months!! I'm glad to get to know everyone here and feel awesome that I have you all to talk to about this! Thank you for being so welcoming!! 

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

M1-22 M2-7 M3-XX M4-XX M5-XX M6-XX M7-XX M8-XX M9-XX M10-XX M11-XX M12-XX

Most Active