Suggestions with coping with the depession/sadness of breaking up with food. 2 weeks post...

JuniperLane
on 7/11/14 4:37 pm

I am keenly aware of the emotions coming from my break-up with food.  More aptly put, the cessation of allowing myself to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.  I remember the hell I felt before the surgery...  26 years (I am 34) of yo-yo dieting, the guilt associated with food, the emotions surrounding trying to shop, the not looking or feeling good, the not being looked at by people...  and the truth is, nothing tastes as good as a size 12 feels..  I tell myself this even though I have not his this size yet (On Monday I will be 6 weeks post-op and I have gone from size 26 to 20).

I have spent the better part of 3 months analyzing my WLS decision, my association/relationship with food, what my life was going to be like post-WLS (I am a counseling masters student who already over analyzes).  What I know is that I have disordered thinking about food.  I prefer to say this instead of saying I have an eating disorder.  I am currently meeting with a counselor but she is not what I was looking for in a counselor so when our sessions are up, I will be finding a new counselor (I get free counseling through my university).  So, I have had to do much of the research myself.  What I have come to learn is that I MUST LEARN TO LIVE DIFFERENTLY.  Mourn your loss but look forward to a life of less restriction... 

The question I have for you is: What are you looking forward to as you lose weight?  The day you meet your weight loss goal...  what does that look like? 

Surgery Date: 6/2/2014     Highest: 333     Pre-Op Diet:  305    Surgery Day:    291     Current:  255     

jastypes
on 7/14/14 3:39 am - Croydon, PA

I think it is natural, normal, healthy and good to go through a mourning period when we put the food down.  I know that for me, food was my best friend, my comforter, my lover, my companion, my drug of choice, my go-to for any and all emotions.  7 years out, and I STILL remember what it was like in those first few weeks when my family was eating normally, while I drank protein shakes and chicken broth!  It was HARD.  Be kind to yourself.  Find new ways to reward, soothe, and pass the time.  Hot bubble baths became a favorite as I lost enough weight to actually sit in a tub.  Walking/dancing/swimming/exercise of any sort is a great anti-depressant.  Attend support group meetings as they are available.  I did a lot of journaling and blogging through the early part of my journey too.  It helps to figure out what you are feeling and often gives insight on how to feel better.  I know you'll be okay, but I want to acknowledge that I truly believe the emotional/mental part of this surgery is the hardest part.  Counseling, 12-step programs (Overeaters Anonymous) and/or WLS support groups can be extremely helpful as we learn a new way of living.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active