Worried

mary14
on 7/13/14 12:59 am

On June 30 I had the gastric sleeve and been told to do liquid diet for 3 weeks, ok been doing, but then again I have added some string cheese chewed up 100 times before swallowing, had 3 cookies with coffee but I let them soak where the cookie fell in the coffee.  Some very soupy mashed potatoes.  Now I am under stress, anxiety, worried that I stretched my stomach or something wrong.  Since surgery my right side has had pain and my right leg goes numb--say it's inflammation and muscle spasms to wait.  The one incision by belly button where pants rub has cracked open I go Monday 14 to see primary but she is not surgeon don't see until Friday the 18.  Am I worrying for nothing and getting stressed over stretching it when It may be nothing??  I've waited long time and I want this to work and I am going to continue to work hard, but I don't want those little mishaps to screw me over as I am looking for texture I'm tired of liquids .  I have changed as we went to fair what is around fair food where old me would be getting deep fried pickles or cheese curds and new me I passed them up and was FINE.. 

poet_kelly
on 7/13/14 1:11 am - OH

I think it is unlikely that you've stretched your stomach, so I don't think you need to be worried about that.  However, I would be worried that only two weeks post op you are already deviating so much from your plan.  You are supposed to be on liquids and you are eating cookies?  I would call your surgeon's office in the morning to get some guidance and I also suggest making an appointment with a therapist who can help you figure out why you are doing then and come up with a plan to help you avoid sabotaging yourself.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VSG on 06/12/13

To build on what Kelly has said, this surgery fixes our stomachs but not our brains. If you want this to work long term, you have GOT to follow your plan. Do this for no other reason than to prevent complications this early out. Although you are to be commended for passing up fried pickles and cheese curds, I sincerely doubt that the other stuff is on your plan. Kelly's advice to find a therapist to help you renegotiate your relationship with food/kick your addiction to junk is a good one.

good luck

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/13/14 2:51 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I want to third the previous advice given: find a professional or group that can help you work on your food issues now, while you are still recovering.  Long term success depends on your relationship with food.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kate -True Brit
on 7/13/14 3:58 am - UK

And a fourth!  Mindset and motivation are the key to success. I have a different surgery so can't comment on any effect cookies etc may have at this stage but this is very early to be moving away from your plan.

the early stages are very hard and it will get easier when you are on a more normal diet. But it is possible to eat round any surgery. You will always be able to eat cookies! 

I agree with the others; find someone to help you work this through.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mary Gee
on 7/13/14 4:20 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You should be worried.  You're not following your surgeon's plan and you're just 13 days post-op.    You've got to follow the rules if you want to be successful.  I'll add my support to the suggestions of previous responders ^^^^^ that you should see a counselor to discuss these issues.

I wish you the best of luck and success -- but you've got to work the program. 

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

rocky513
on 7/13/14 5:35 am - WI

I'm going to echo what the others have told you.  I wonder what made you think that cookies would be a good choice?  You have to start choosing foods that are good nutritionally.  The texture is not the only consideration.  Three cookies dunked in coffee may have "gone down" alright... but the carbs /sugar have NO nutritional value. We are told to eat protein forward meals for the rest of our lives.  That means that EVERY meal should contain some sort of protein.  You were given a set of rules for a reason.  I understand that you are tired of mushy food and want to chew something.  Eventually you will be able to do that.  Right now it is really important to change the way you approach food and following your surgeon's plan will help you do that.  Use this time to re-learn how to nourish your body in a healthy way.  We want you to succeed!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

TexasTerritory
on 7/13/14 6:38 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I must chime in with the suggestion that you need to follow your plan in order to be successful. Investigating your off-plan food choices is critical for improved health. While on liquid diet, I considered it to be like taking medication..it was important for good healing.

Now is the time to be thinking about why you need texture versus healthy food choices. Good luck.

Gina 22 years out
on 7/13/14 9:19 am - Burleson, TX

MARY--I read your profile. You are obviously going thru a lot. My sincerest sympathy regarding the loss of your dad. BUT...

You knew THAT was coming---didn't you????

You have received some excellent responses, by some VERY smart folks-please read each response again and again...and read YOUR post, again. Look in your post and pick out the EXCUSES for poor CHOICES. I don't care how many times you "chew string cheese". It's till never been on any "liquid list" I've ever seen. Same with cookies/mashed potatoes/etc...You KNOW that...You were just TRYING to find a way to "make it right"...but you can't...

What's done is done....So...What do you do NOW?? As Dr. Connie Stapleton says: You do THE NEXT RIGHT THING. Get back on your prescribed program RIGHT NOW. Not "in the morning-not after the next cookie-laced coffee--but RIGHT NOW...Get on your insurance website and check into therapy service coverage. In the morning, call the surgeon office, and talk to someone about your incision site-offer to email them a picture of it. Be sure to have ALL your symptoms handy, and be ready to give all the FACTS (fever? redness? drainage?)

Your WLS WILL work, but YOU have to work WITH it...KUDOS for not having the "fair food", or you might well be in the hospital or funeral home right now. No fried pickle is worth THAT..and I don't even know what a cheese curd IS...

Please update, later, and let us know how you are doing

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Laura in Texas
on 7/13/14 10:56 pm

Perfectly said, Gina!! That's why I love you so!!

Thanks for sticking around here. We all need your wisdom!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active