Food addict considering WLS, new to site.

wookie35
on 7/9/14 11:32 pm - eugene, OR

Hi, I am new here and have done a lot of research on WLS and would prefer to avoid it, if it's possible to do this on my own. I have had some success (lost 100 lbs with a low carb high protien diet about 4 years ago) but have since gained back 30 of those lbs. I still have about 175 lbs to lose. I do feel hungry often, but it doesn't take much to make that feeling go away, yet I continue to eat and want to eat things all day long. Or, I constantly fight the urge to. I am wondering if WLS is right for me when my issue doesn't seem to be hunger driven. Can anyone offer any advice/tips/opinions? Thank you.

Cathy W.
on 7/10/14 2:18 am

Eating when it isn't hunger driven is head hunger or emotional eating.  Many WLS'ers don't eat out of physical hunger. 

What you're describing as far as your weight loss history is one that many of us experience.  It is a yo-yo dieting that never results in long lasting weight loss.

Gwen M.
on 7/10/14 2:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I would suggest finding a therapist to help you deal with your addiction. Finding an Overeater's Anonymous meeting in your area could be beneficial as well. Even with surgery it's hard to conquer obesity without treating the mental aspect as well. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ladytazz
on 7/10/14 3:31 am

Welcome from a fellow food addict.  You are wise to be addressing these issues now before you have surgery if you decide to go through with it.

WLS does not mean you never have to watch what you eat again.  For me it just helps me do that, it doesn't do it for me.  I made the mistake with my first WLS in thinking I would never have to diet again.  I lose 120 lbs and by 8 years out I had regained 100 lbs.  

So, WLS is not the magic bullet that cures food issues.  As they say, they operate on your stomach, not your head.  My obesity was a result of my thinking and using food as a coping mechanism.  There wasn't a thing wrong with my stomach or digestive system, at least not until I went under to knife to alter them permanently.  There are some who are obese for other reasons then food addiction.  They do have physical issues.  I'm not one of them.

WLS has helped me for the last 4 years not to practice my addiction.  This is a record for me so it is working, or should I say I am working with it.  It is a big help not to be hungry all the time and to be satisfied with smaller amounts of food.  There are many types of WLS and there is no one size fits all.  If you do decide to pursue WLS then working with a surgeon and researching all the surgeries will help you find which would be the best fit for you.  My first surgery wasn't my best fit.  I do well with restriction and I didn't have a lot of that the first time.

Good luck to you whatever your decision.  The fact that you have kept off 70 lbs for 4 years on your own is very good.  I can tell you honestly that before I had WLS I never kept weight off for any length of time.  I was either gaining or losing.  I have been a normal BMI for over 3 years now.  I could never say that before.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

wookie35
on 7/10/14 4:20 am - eugene, OR

Thank you for the great advice. I am going to pursue the WLS option via my insurance as it's quite a lengthy process I hear and in the mean time try my best to change my ways.  I feel like a failure when I can't stick with it, which is often and then the awful cycle.begins again. Congrats on your success, it doesn't sound like it has been an easy road by any means. And the more I learn about WLS, the more I see it is definitely NOT an easy road and this is what is so scary. I also have the fear of having a bunch of leftover skin and not being able to afford another surgery for that.  I guess it's one day at a time. Thanks again!

MsBatt
on 7/11/14 3:42 am

Leftover skin will be the same no matter how you lose the weight. Doing it "the old fashioned way" will leave as much as doing it through WLS.

Do yourself a favor and research ALL FOUR forms of WLS---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch.

wookie35
on 7/11/14 6:57 am - eugene, OR

Thank you MsBatt! I plan to. I was thinking the lap.band because it was so much less invasive but I'm now leaning toward the sleeve if my insurance will cover it as I have severe acid reflux and it seems making the stomach opening smaller may cause it to worsen. The skin is a cosmetic thing and really, I'm doing this to prolong my life and it's quality.  If there were a way to avoid it, of course I would prefer that but I think it depends on age and the elasticity of ones skin. Thanks you for the suggestion. I will look into the 4th, I have actually never heard of it before. 

jastypes
on 7/10/14 3:45 am - Croydon, PA

Welcome!  Only you can decide what is really right for you.  I am a compulsive overeater and food addict.  I work the 12-step program of Overeaters Anonymous to help me deal with the emotional, spiritual and physical affects of the disease of Compulsive Overeating.  I know that I could never have lost 141 pounds and kept it off without WLS.  I know, because I tried like a million times.  I do think it is absolutely important to address the underlying causes and conditions of food addiction.  WLS is a tool, but I can honestly say it is the strongest tool in my toolbox with regard to losing and keeping the weight off.  I do not think it has to be, or should be the LAST resort.  It is the best treatment the world has for obesity, and it goes a long way in helping to treat the progressive, fatal illness of food addiction.  Of course, recognizing yourself as a food addict, you should be super aware of the possibility of transferring addictions (I developed alcoholism after WLS).  This, too, though can be avoided by following surgeon's rules and addressing the underlying issues of your addiction. 

I would have WLS again in a heartbeat.  My only regret is not doing it sooner.  It is certainly not a cure for food addiction, but it really is an awesome and effective tool. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

wookie35
on 7/10/14 4:31 am - eugene, OR

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear your addiction morphed to alcohol after the WLS. I rapidly gained weight while in an abusive relationship with an alcoholic so I agree that I need to a dress the emotional part as well.  I have been reluctant to go to an OA meeting as I know most 12 step programs are faith based and I am not a religious person.  This is the first time I have ever been on a forum and talked openly about my issue.  It's a step in the right direction I think. Thank you for your input. I would love to avoid surgery like I said, but I also don't want to be here a year from now in the same place, wishing I had done it already and watching another year of my life pass by. I feel like my weight is what holds me back from almost everything. I've missed friends' weddings, highschool reunions, and lost friendships all because of how ashamed of how big I have allowed myself to get. I told my fiance' I want to lose this wright before we get married and that was a year ago and I think I've gained 5 lbs. Maybe it's time to use the best tool out there. Thanks again, I appreciate all the good advice :)

Patm
on 7/10/14 5:04 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You have been given some great advise here. I would just like to mention do not give up your life now. Hold your head up and get out there. Having a positive mental attitude can only help. If you go off your diet just pick yourself up and get back on the horse.

I wish you good luck in your choice.

Most Active