Newbie and have some questions BMI 33

Shannon P.
on 7/9/14 1:13 am

Hi my name is Shannon im 27, i have been overweight since i was around 15. My highest weight was 210 but i was on a certain medication that made me gain weight. I usually fluctuate between 185-195 but a few times i've gotten back up to 200lbs. I am 5'4 i currently weigh 190-195lbs and have a bmi around 33. I've tried everything to lose weight, i am addicted to food so it's constant sturggle. I can eat healthy but sticking to correct portion sizes is a struggle since it takes a ton of food for me to feel full or satisfied. And then sometimes i go off the deep end and eat a whole box of cookies, a can of ravioli and a whole box of fruit snacks in one setting. (i don't "get rid of it" either, i've never had an eating disorder unless you just count overeating a disorder)

Being overweight is effecting my health, ive been told i have had high cholesterol in the past. I also had a 2 hour blood glucose tolerance test done and the results showed that i was pre diabetic (that was 3 years ago so things may have changed). I have problems with circulation in my left leg and my doctor has scheduled me a surgery appointment to have my varicose veins dealt with since my most problematic vein is the main one that runs from your ankle to your groin. 

I don't think i will ever be able to lose this weight on my own, and im afraid that my health will only get worse and i'm even more afraid that my mental health, my self esteem, my outlook on life and my marriage will be totally destroyed. 

So my question is, would it be ridiculous to gain around 20lbs to get me to a BMI around 37?

I have a doctors appointment on August 1st to see about getting a referral or tests to see if i qualify for surgery.

thank you sorry this post was so long

Amy K.
on 7/9/14 1:52 am - Tucson, AZ

Hi Shannon!  I totally understand your struggles.  Have you tried Weigh****chers or some other medical weight loss or even seen a dietician who can help you plan menus and find foods that will help you feel satisfied and full longer?  Considering that your BMI is in the low-30's maybe you could try another route before gaining weight just to have surgery.   

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

Shannon P.
on 7/9/14 3:01 am

I've tried WW, I've hired two dieticians, I've been to one dietician that was recommended to me through a previous doctor. I've had my metabolic rate tested, my body fat tested and had a diet outlined for me through this center at our previous military base. I've tried so many workout dvds and programs. Other dieting websites that help track your calories. I've tried adipex and that made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack :/

I've tried everything. I'm at the end of my rope :(

Kate -True Brit
on 7/9/14 3:08 am - UK

At BMI 33, you may get told you are way to close to a normal weight to have surgery. But from what you say, you are already having issues and you are still young. If you have really tried every non-surgical option, I can see why you might go the surgery route. 

I am not in the US so don't really understand your systems! But in the UK, I think that someone with those health problems who was prepared to pay for themselves, would be able to make a good case to a doctor. 

You need to do  lots of research to see which type of surgery would suit you best.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/9/14 3:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You might want to check with your insurance company to see what their requirements are in order to pay for bariatric surgery. Having insurance coverage for surgery is often a big factor in whether or not someone chooses to go ahead with it, or wait a bit.

It's common to require multiple comorbidities when your BMI is between 35 - 40, but some plans have specific lists of conditions they "accept" and yours may not be on the list, though it's possible to be tested for others (high blood pressure, sleep apnea, etc.). My plan also required 5 years' medical history of morbid obesity as well.

You can get that info from your benefit book, which you can often find online, or you can call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and ask.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 7/9/14 10:09 am - Warren, OH

As Kate said, you should be able to find a surgeon who will perform weight loss surgery on you at your current weight as long as you are self-pay.  Look into options in Mexico also.  You would need to have a BMI of over 40 for five years before most insurance would cover you. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MsBatt
on 7/9/14 10:29 am

The first thing I would do is call my insurance company and find out exactly what my policy requires in order to qualify for WLS. Most insurance companies require a BMI greater than 40 if you have no co-mobs, or above 35 if you have 2 or more co-morbs.

Shannon P.
on 7/9/14 11:08 pm

I have tricare and they require 2 co-morbs if your bmi is between 35-40. 

Amy K.
on 7/9/14 11:57 pm - Tucson, AZ

Hello again.  I also have Tricare and just jumped through all their hoops.  At first I could not believe the list of "tasks" they wanted me to do just to even submit for the surgery, but now after having gone through the process I'm so glad they did.  As an educator, at about month 3 I saw the process as education on how I'd live the rest of my life and so glad that I didnt jump in feet first after just a couple months.  Its not a quick or easy process, but worthwhile.  Starting I had a history of documented obesity and one co-morb (hypertension), then in the process found out I had sleep apnea making it 2 co-morbs, so I could have qualified with just a BMI of 35.  Like the others suggested talk to your PCM - mine was amazing and never once discouraged me (I've been lucky and had the same PCM for 4 years). 

Having just completed the lengthy process you are about to embark on, please feel free to PM me and we can chat more. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/9/14 6:37 pm

I can relate.  I was starving myself to maintain BMI of 38,.. Whern I decided to seek WLS - I just stoped starving myself and exercised like as maniac to maintain.  In no time I was over 40 BMI. 

But - do you need to gain weight?  What are the criteria? How about Chinese the day before the doc?  20 lbs is a lot...if you try to gan it fast - you may deal with stretch marks..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active