Just had surgery--Weight loss question

emckechnie
on 7/9/14 1:34 pm - West Sacramento, CA

I had an RNY on 6/30/14 and am recovering very well. My question is this. After surgery, I swear, I peed out 20 pounds of water weight because when I went home I had dropped from 290 lb to 274. They had me on a catheter for the day of surgery and the day after and the nurses commented on my urine output and that I wasn't dehydrated at all.

Since then my weight is hovering around 270-271 with no further losses. My caloric intake is about 550 per day or less (shakes & pureed soups). I'm not exercising much due to a bad knee; I'm trying to rest it until the pain lessens before I launch an exercise program.

Am I ever gonna start losing weight again?

Kate -True Brit
on 7/9/14 5:21 pm - UK

So 16lbs in two weeks! Don't look at the days, look at the weeks! Early loss is the water soluble glycogen which the body then needs to replenish. We store about 2lbs of glycogen, ready for quick access use (flight, fight, sudden famine). So your glycogen store has emptied. Your body is now replacing it.

But it is water soluble fat and requires up to 4 times its weight in water. So your body is currently deliberately storing around 8lbs of weight.  Be happy you haven't gained!!!

An early pause in loss is common. Use the search icon to look for threads with titles like Early Stall, Ywo Week Stall, Three Week Stall etc.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

jastypes
on 7/10/14 3:52 am - Croydon, PA

The short answer is:  ABSOLUTELY!!!!!  Keep doing what you're doing.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active