Healing crisis?

Phatphotog
on 7/8/14 7:40 am

has anyone here experienced this from rapid weight loss? I have been really sick for a few days and wondering if maybe I had West Nile virus since we went camping and the mosquitos were terrible. Someone suggested it might be a healing crisis. I never heard of that before but it seems like my symptoms might match up. Fever, headache, joint and muscle pain to name a few. I haven't been sleeping well because of the pain. Google healing crisis. Not sure if I'm allowed to post links for info.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/8/14 12:30 pm

Camping - mosquitoes- ticks? Lyme disease...- please get checked for that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Phatphotog
on 7/8/14 1:14 pm

Two other people told me that. We spend a lot of time outdoors. Going to the doctor tomorrow. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/8/14 9:22 pm, edited 7/8/14 9:23 pm

Only some percentage of people get "bullseye".  Some don't. Blood work for antibody for that is also non- reliable.  I sure hope you have good doc.  Untreated Lyme long term is a horrible disease. I am sure buy now you googled it and are scared,  HUGS.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tracy D.
on 7/9/14 1:11 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

A "healing crisis" can arise when a bunch of toxins get released from your cells (that happens during extreme weight loss) and circulate around in the bloodstream until they are cleaned out.   The high build-up of toxins can make you feel feverish, have joint pain, especially around areas where you've had sprains/breaks, etc.  You can deal with a healing crisis by resting, lightly exercising and drinking lots of fluids like water and herbal teas.  Some people I know also believe in coffee enemas - not suggesting it but some people are true believers - lol! 

However, I would first rule out the Lyme disease angle or any other kind of tick/bug bite reaction.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/9/14 4:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Speaking as an anti-woo science-believer, I suspect you might just have a case of what my mom referred to as "the creeping crud."

The first link on "healing crises" comes up on Natural News, which legitimate physicians and scientists dismiss as quackery (the site is a big supporter of the anti-vaxx movement, if that says anything), and general talk about "toxins" is complete bunk, as our kidneys usually do a lovely job of flushing unwanted stuff out of our bodies.

I agree with other posters suggesting that you get checked for lyme. Joint and muscle pain can also happen as we lose weight because our bodies are adjusting to movement with much less weight on our frames, so things can get sore once in a while! But if you hurt badly enough that you can't sleep, my vote is "better safe than sorry!" and see if you can get in to see your GP or perhaps urgent care and get an expert opinion.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active