Pain meds

Donna K.
on 7/6/14 9:19 am - ME

Hello All!

I had an RNY back in 2001 and because of the surgery can't take NSAIDS. I'm having oral surgery on Tuesday and they're planning to give me Narcon (acetaminophen and hydrocodone) which is a narcotic. With all the stories about addiction to prescription pain meds I'm scared about taking this. Have any of you had experiences with pain meds after RNY? Are there other drugs I might be able to take? 

Peace & Love, Donna K.
Gwen M.
on 7/6/14 9:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you take it as prescribed, and due to actual pain, I wouldn't worry.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mona Mee
on 7/6/14 9:42 am - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

I agree with GwenMo. 👍

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

Donna K.
on 7/6/14 10:11 am - ME

Thank you! That makes me feel better. :)

Peace & Love, Donna K.
Donna K.
on 7/6/14 10:12 am - ME

Thank you! That makes me feel better. :)

Peace & Love, Donna K.
kathkeb
on 7/6/14 10:54 am

I was advised to take a Benadryl with my pain meds to extend the relief from the narcotic and help me sleep.

So, even though my pain meds allowed me 1-2 every 4-6 hours, I was generally comfortable with the low dose of 1 every 5-6 hours when paired with Benadryl.

Best of luck!

Kath

Donna K.
on 7/6/14 11:19 am - ME

Thank you, Kath! I've never heard of adding Benadryl to pain meds. I'll definitely ask the doctor about it.

Peace & Love, Donna K.
MsBatt
on 7/6/14 3:05 pm

Hydrocodone isn't really all that addictive, when taken for actual pain.

56sunShine14
on 7/7/14 1:44 am

Do pay attention to the posts that read - for actual pain

If you are feeling high, fuzzy headed, you are taking too much for the level of pain your body is in.  You should not have any sense of being high at the right dosage. 

This is a good tip to hold onto any time you have to take narcotics.  If you are having those feelings, talk to your doctor immediately and get the dosage adjusted.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/7/14 2:57 am

it does not work that way for everyone. If i don't take narco for a while - even 1/2 pill may give me temporary "high" fuzzy head.   But if i take it everyday - no effect.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active