WLS and depression

madetaca
on 7/8/14 8:32 am - Canada
RNY on 01/07/14

In addition to checking with your doc to adjust your medication, you must also keep in mind that part of what you're ascribing to depression might simply be the healing process.  Your body is getting used to this new "plumbing" and how it has to draw energy from other sources.  Most of us don't function at our best the first month or two --I know I slept a lot more, and although my mood was good, I got easily exhausted.

SaucerSizePlate
on 7/9/14 2:56 pm, edited 7/9/14 3:17 pm

I had RNY 14 years ago and wish you'll were around then.  I remember being depressed and on the phone with my mama and telling her "I feel like I'm in mourning".  As I'm lying on the couch trying to get down the one ounce of jello my husband fixed me. She said to me, I'm sure you are it's a death of what was, what you were used too.  And I thought about it and she was right.  I was in mourning for the old me and the foods that I'd no longer be eating.  I had to give myself time to heal, not just from the surgery but also my mind.  All the "first" things you'll be doing.  Like going shopping and NOT stoping by your favorite pizza shop, driving by 7'Eleven or Wawa and NOT running in for a Coke/Pepsi.  But don't worry you'll get thru it and one day you'll be out shopping and then you'll stop by your NEW favorite restaurant for a salad or grilled chicken and a fruit cup.  I think everyone that has this kind of surgery should also see a therapist, continue:

SaucerSizePlate
on 7/9/14 3:08 pm, edited 7/9/14 3:25 pm

Continue:  after all there's a reason we have the eating habits we do and surgery alone is not going to help that.  And the good news, I lost 124 pounds and like I said its been 14 years.  Wow it's hard to believe its been that long.  At about 10 years I did gain 50 or so pounds and one day I said to myself "you didn't go thru all the pain and suffering to gain it back".  I went back to eating my meals on a saucer plate and even today that's what I use to have all my meal on. I started making better food choices and today I feel wonderful!!!  Good luck and stay strong.

Most Active