WLS and depression

indub28
on 7/7/14 10:23 am, edited 7/8/14 8:27 am

Hi all!  This is my first post since joining and I'd like to ask you all something.. I've had depressive disorder for about 4 years now and up til the surgery it's been somewhat under wraps with my medications.. ( I still had issues here and there but not regularly)  I have noticed though that since I had the sleeve surgery my depression has been regularly causing issues.  I can't seem to get rid of this feeling of helplessness.  I am worried as I drop the weight that it's going to keep getting worse which isn't helping anything.  Anyway.. any suggestions or ideas of what I could do?  

BTW my surgery was on May 19th and I've lost 53 lbs since 1 month pre-op.  I don't know if that'll help but who knows..

Bette B.
on 7/7/14 11:04 am

Have you had your meds adjusted for your new weight? That could have something to do with it. Your best bet is to speak to your PCP or your therapist - whoever prescribed the meds.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/7/14 11:09 am

Tryptophan or 5-HTP work for my mild anxiety and depression. Google that. 

Exercise helps with endorphins - I know it is hard to make myself go and do it - but a brisk walk makes a difference.  Watching comedies and action movies is better for my moods than any drama.  Small changes that help rewire the brain. 

I try to find positive in ANYTHING.  Sometimes is hard but I casn always come with something.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gwen M.
on 7/7/14 11:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?  If not, adding one to your team would probably be a great idea. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jmfitzg
on 7/7/14 11:58 am - Indianapolis, IN

We malabsob after surgery. There is a study on Obesity help site. Have your Dr. Adjust meds according to NIH finding on how we malabsorb. It also depends on the type of WLS you had.

I am experiencing the same thing. I have a Dr. App 7/8to adjust meds!

Good luck!

MsBatt
on 7/8/14 2:45 am

The OP has a Sleeve. She does NOT malabsorb. Only those with an RNY or a DS malabsorb.

MsBatt
on 7/8/14 2:49 am

Post-op depression is VERY common, for a number of reasons. For one thing, it's a HUGE lifestyle change. Also, your body is trying to deal with the aftereffects of MAJOR surgery, and rapid weight loss releases a LOT of hormones that have been stored in our fat.

The good news is that things generally get better as our bodies heal, or weight loss slows down, and we get adjusted to our new life. In the meantime, talk to your therapist. This isn't something you have to get through alone.

Valerie G.
on 7/8/14 2:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Definitely something to talk to the doc about.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LakeErieGirl
on 7/8/14 6:11 am
VSG on 06/17/14

Hi, first off congratulations on your sleeve. I agree with all the information that was given, but I am curious have you been back to your doctor at all since your surgery? 

I am not sure if you go to a psychiatrist for your medications, but you might your meds adjusted for sure.

For instance, I had my sleeve surgery June 17th and my psy required me to come within a month. She was very concerned along with my psychologist at the clinic that I had surgery how I was doing on my meds. I also have MDD, OCD, Dysthmia, and Anxiety.  They were all under control prior to surgery. 

I was warned by my surgeon, and psychatrist that I very well could need meds adjusted. Well, in my case I go this Friday and I know I need them adjusted! 

In my case, I am feeling great and I'm sure the dosage is way too strong right now! I think also for the drug ****tail I am on it's making me lose my appetite even more. I don't need that now. Also, when I was  put on this dosage I weighed a lot more! 

As you know, getting the right dosage for us that suffer depression can be tough, but when it's right - it is a saving grace!

You might just need it tweaked a liitle bit. I was warned my depression could erupt after surgery bad along with my OCD. I haven't noticed either really and neither has my family. They usually pick up on it sometimes even more than me. 

I really wish you peace through this process! You deserve it. Nobody understands depression unless they have gone through it. Adding that many are told it can be " typical" after surgery is tough to hear when we already have a diagnosis of it. Hang in there! Talk to your doctor soon! This is not something that can wait IMO. 

Good luck! 

5'6" 44 yrs old Heighest Weight Ever - 295 (Pregnancy)

SW-270 lbs Pre-Op -242 lbs CW -224 lbs Goal Weight- 147lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/8/14 7:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hi there! I have bipolar and I take an antidepressant as well as several other medications for my mental health.

While I first started losing, I had to check in with my psychiatrist once a month because my meds did need to be tweaked a bit. Most of us experience the infamous "hormone dump" early on-- estrogen is stored in fat cells, and when we lose fat, the hormones come flooding through, which can really do a number on your emotions! It can mess with some psych meds as well, so it's good to have your therapist/psych/etc. check in and see how you're doing.

I also had trouble with the feeling of control, especially at first. When I didn't recognize myself in the mirror it was especially hard. Like, what the heck have I done, I'm making all these changes, everything is different, I don't know if I can handle it, and it's a lot to deal with all at once. Therapy can help, journaling is good, and even just finding someone (either here or IRL) that you can vent to is super useful.

Take care of yourself! Get your rest, drink lots of water, and give yourself time to heal, physically and mentally. You've done a wonderful job so far, keep at it and don't be afraid to call for help if you need it. 

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active