So, having a difficult time...

56sunShine14
on 7/7/14 5:11 am

I am going in for my lap band removal in 2 weeks and have to wait 8 weeks for my tummy to heal before I can get sleeved.  During that time, I will be in the program for pre-surg WLS patients.  I have stopped worrying about whether or not insurance will cover the sleeve surgery as I believe it will be ok. (Medicare and Humana).  But this wait...

I come onto OH every day, a few times a day just to see everyone's story and eek out some supporting thoughts.  But, the wait......!  I like to look at the before and afte pictures but it sort of makes me sad because I am not on that losers bench yet.  I feel like it is never going to happen, I am never going to get that chance al of you post ops had, to look good, to feel good, to be healthy again. 

Any suggestions on how to get into a better state of mind about this?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Kate -True Brit
on 7/7/14 5:29 am - UK

No suggestions! But lots of sympathy! Waiting is hard, especially second time round.

Maybe keep busy? Maybe stop reading about other people's' successes??  Both easy for me to say, not easy to do!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

56sunShine14
on 7/7/14 7:57 am

I understand things are easier said than done.  And have thought maybe I shouldn't read every day because altho I am happy for everyone else, it does make it harder on me.  Thanks Kate!

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

jenorama
on 7/7/14 6:29 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Ugh, waiting is a drag!  I made up my mind in January of 2013 to pursue RNY surgery and I wasn't able to have the surgery until October due to insurance requirements and surgeon's schedule.  Like you, I was all up in the OH devouring everyone's stories and completely jealous of everyone who'd had surgery and success.  You've got 10 more weeks to wait and it'll go by in a flash.  Spend this time documenting your current measurements, taking your "before" pics and spending some "me" time.  Prepare your environment and keep reading success stories and get ready to share your own!  :D

Jen

56sunShine14
on 7/7/14 7:58 am

Thanks Jenorama,  good idea!

Karen

poet_kelly
on 7/7/14 9:11 am - OH

Well, it is going to happen.  And two months is not that far away.

Can you stop looking at the before and after pics for a while?  Maybe start focusing on the changes you can make now instead.  Set some small goals and celebrate that - like exercising every day, even if it's just for a few minutes to start.  Or drinking eight glasses of water a day.  Or sticking to your food plan for a day.  Whatever.  Small goals, that you can celebrate now, instead of waiting until you've lost a lot of weight in the future.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BASIMAH02
on 7/7/14 9:35 am - IL

I was wondering was there a reason why they can't do both the band removal and revision in one surgery. I just had a revision from band to gastric bypass and it was all done in one surgery.   

ONE OF LIFE'S MYSTERIES IS HOW A TWO-POUND BOX OF CANDY CAN MAKE A PERSON GAIN FIVE POUNDS

56sunShine14
on 7/7/14 11:17 am

Just a different surgeon.  Some want to wait until the stomach is healed well before traumatizing it again.  And they might make more money from 2 separate surgeries than a 2 in 1.  I wanted the revision but he wouldn't do it and I wanted him for the surgery.

How has it been for you getting the band out?  I can't wait for that, so tired of vomiting.

Karen

BASIMAH02
on 7/8/14 8:17 am - IL

Having the band out has been great. I have an easier time eating post-op than I did with the band. I also like the idea of not having foreign objects in my body. It freaked me out feeling the port under my skin. I don't know where you live so I don't know if you have a lot of options in choosing a surgeon, I definitely think one surgery is best. Going through two surgeries is very traumatic on both you and your stomach. To do surgery, then wait until you heal just so another surgery can be done just sounds backwards to me. I wish you the best of luck. 

ONE OF LIFE'S MYSTERIES IS HOW A TWO-POUND BOX OF CANDY CAN MAKE A PERSON GAIN FIVE POUNDS

stoutts
on 7/8/14 1:33 am

Me too!  Less trauma to the body for one surgery, plus less cost for ins or self pay.

Most Active