Vit D level

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/5/14 2:40 pm

30 of what? 80 of what?  Whast unit oif measurement....

Please,... Too high D can lead to serious issues.   

The 80 is nmol/liter while in US most labs report in ng/ml. 

If your D3 is 32ng/ml = 80nmol/liter  - the level is consider good to very good. 

High vit D may lead to high calcium absorbtion and if we don't need that much calcium for the bones - the body will put it in joints, arteries, etc. 

When talking number - PLEASE check units.  - how's it is measured.  

What does the test result mean?

Although there are differences among vitamin D methods, most laboratories utilize similar reference intervals. Because toxicity is rare, the focus has been on the lower limit and what cut-off for total 25-hydroxyvitamin D (D2 + D3) indicates deficiency.

• The Endocrine Society defines vitamin D deficiency as a 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood level below 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/liter) and vitamin D insufficiency as a level between 21–29 ng/mL (52.5–72.5 nmol/liter).
  • The U.S. Institute of Medicine has concluded that a 25-hydroxyvitamin D level of 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/liter) or above is adequate for bone health, and that levels greater than 30 ng/mL do not offer significantly better effects. However, it is fair to say that the level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D associated with protection from the many other disorders recently associated with a lack of vitamin D is controversial.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 7/5/14 7:27 am - OH

Vitamin d deficiency is common in the general population and even more common among WLS folks.  There should not be any side effects from taking Vitamin D, unless I guess you take WAY more than you should.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Parker H.
on 7/5/14 8:59 am - NC

I had low vit D before surgery (my level was 8!) and was prescribed 50,000 IU every 2 days.  It didn't work so well with me though... I felt like I was in a daze the entire time I was taking it.  I imagine that's how one would feel on speed.  I couldn't sleep, I was wall-eyed, and had so much energy I felt like I may explode.  The first day or so, it was great!  Energy, productivity, and happiness!  However, after about 3 days of this, I was tired, still wired up, and was generally hating life and everyone in it.  I told my doctor I wouldn't be taking that high a dose anymore, and switched to 3 5,000 IU OTC pills a day.  I still feel sort of "buzzed", but at least I can sleep!

Parker H.

-SW: 360        -GW: 210        -Sur Date: 05/20/14       - Surgeon:  Dr. Jonathan Hata

sp1209
on 7/5/14 9:02 am - AL

The Dry D3 from Vitalady works good for me. 

ShawnaMC
on 7/8/14 5:06 am

I was also low on D so they had me start taking d3 daily, 2000 iu. Haven't had any side effects aside from my hair growing in a little thicker, which I'm totally okay with. :)

Instagram

Most Active