Did you stick to the liquid/food guidelines post-op?

VSG on 06/12/13

You don't say which surgery you have had, but here's the thing - if it was VSG, you need to do some reading up on your pyloric valve function. This surgery basically makes our stomachs into a high pressure system and we need to consume foods that minimize pressure on the staple line until we are healed. Those are liquids then purées then solids at your surgeon's pace. Otherwise, that is the weakest point in the chain right now and you are setting yourself up for a possible leak.

You are generally incorrect in your taking that rules = guidelines as you move down this path. You'd be wise to reconsider this POV as you move from obese to a normal weight. Bending rules will increase the likelihood that you will get off track and fail.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

drmroth
on 7/5/14 10:12 am

FYI I had RNY on June 26. 

I wasn't saying that I was going off the post-op diet or doing anything crazy, I just wanted to know if it would hurt to move into the next phase a little early. I'm on the thick liquid phase and doing great so I wanted to know if I could move on to soft foods. In my current phase I'm allowed cottage cheese, cream of wheat, pudding and other liquids/thick liquids. The next phase will be soft puréed foods. 

poet_kelly
on 7/5/14 10:29 am - OH

It might not hurt anything.  Some people are eating pureed foods before they are discharged from the hospital.  But your surgeon knows your medical history and knows how your surgeon went, so he or she would be the best person to answer that question for you.  I would call the office Monday morning and ask if it would hurt anything to move on to pureed foods early.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/5/14 10:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If your doctor wanted to give you guidelines, he/she would have said explicitly, "eat what you feel like, but make sure to kinda stick to suchandsuch" rather than giving you an exact list of what to eat and when. They don't put the rules together for kicks and giggles!

You've just had your guts rearranged, and you want to go easy on them! Eating something that's too solid could get stuck, irritate stitches/staples, or cause other complications that you generally want to avoid as everything is healing. Your doctor has performed this surgery many times, and his/her advice is based on that experience. Best to stick to the expert timeline!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/14 12:34 pm - OH

According to my surgeon, there isn't any medical evidence that eating anything that is well chewed can cause any kind of physical damage after bariatric surgery.  Some surgeons (such as mine) actually find that starting soft foods soon after surgery significantly decreases problems with nausea, vomiting, food intolerances, etc. over having people on liquids and purées for a long time.

I do agree, however, that people should stick to the plan their surgeon gave them, or at least get clearance from the surgeon for any deviation.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/14 12:38 pm - OH

I did, but my surgeon had her patients on soft food Day Three.

If you are feeling good and want to move on more quickly, you may very well get clearance from your surgeon to go ahead and advance to the next level if you just call the office and ask.  The surgeons that I do psych evals for routinely do this, either at the patient's 2 week follow up or if they call the office after that.

Many surgeons use a post-op plan that they believe will have the best results for the greatest number of people (to cut down on calls to the office from people having trouble) but are willing to let patients having no trouble move on more quickly. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Heatherhere
on 7/6/14 8:43 am

I'm 11 days out eating all pureed foods.  Mostly meats/tuna/ beans all with Greek yogurt.. 2 to 3 3 to 4 oz meals 2 shakes with Greek yogurt.  Getting 80-100g of protein. Crazy to only eat 9-12 oz of food a day.  Fluids got much easer to drink in the last couple of days.. 

Carfigure
on 7/6/14 12:49 pm

To be honest I've moved to next phase before I was told. I mean my plan says clear liquids for one week which I did but I was also told when I see the doc for follow up she will move me to next stage. But because of the holiday (I guess) I haven't seen my doc so I moved to next phase on my 8th day. I will let my doc know tomorrow.  

Most Active