Any school teachers out there???

teachnaz
on 7/4/14 6:35 am

My surgery is one week from today.  Yea!  I live in AZ and I have to report back to school 2 1/2 weeks after surgery.  Can any of you tell me how you schedule your eating?  People who are not teachers don't realize that we can't just stop and take a snack break or eat lunch when we want to - or go to the bathroom!  I can't keep a fridge in my classroom so I'm thinking I'll have to bring some sort of a cooler to keep any food cold. Any tips or tricks that you can share with me?  Thanks!

TexasTerritory
on 7/4/14 6:41 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I am based in public schools as an SLP. I travel from campus to campus. I eat a lot of canned tuna and cheese sticks. I also drink protein shakes. I only eat three meals a day with no snacking. I don't feel hunger.

Getting your water in maybe your biggest concern. Good luck.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/4/14 8:09 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I teach in the university and went back to work 2 weeks after my surgery.  Eating isn't a big deal after surgery.  You aren't eating very much.  I packed a shake and and a string cheese or yogurt -- that worked just fine.  For water, I used a large insulated cup.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Laura in Texas
on 7/4/14 8:25 am

I always eat a snack between my 2nd and 3rd period classes. The kids are used to it and it's not a big deal. I usually have a protein bar or string cheese. I would suggest you do not try anything new at school. You do not want to have tummy troubles.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Valerie G.
on 7/4/14 10:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

2.5 weeks is very ambitious.  Some do well, but others (like me) are very cheap dates to anesthesia.  I swear it took me a good 5 weeks to lose the listlessness.

My key to eating enough was a jar full of my own concoction of trail mix and a giant 64oz jug of green koolaid made with splenda.  DO eat strategically during the day, and save your experiments with new foods for the weekend and evenings.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Musicteech
on 7/4/14 11:20 am - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

Me!  I'm almost 3 weeks post-op & this week has been the best with more energy & no problems getting in all the fluids & protein!  I don't go back for another 6 weeks though.  Take a protein drink for sure!

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

Amy K.
on 7/4/14 12:29 pm - Tucson, AZ

I'm a teacher in Arizona also and go back soon also.  When going through the process my students just got used to me eating in front of them. I figure it'll be same upon return. 

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

Kate -True Brit
on 7/4/14 3:56 pm - UK

It worked well for me. Because breaks are clearly timetabled, it gave structure to my eating. In the immediate post-op stage, I took a flask of thick home made soup and drank it out of mugs while everyone else was having coffee! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sBob
on 7/4/14 5:37 pm

I keep 2 litres of water on my desk and drink it all day. And as stated above I depend a lot on string cheese, yoghurt and protein shakes at work. I also like to take some sort of meat for lunch so I feel as if I have been eating something more substantial (egg-salad, salmon-salad, chicken). I also discretely eat while my students are working. Protein shakes for work are invaluable. :) I hope that helps.

Crimson-fairy
on 7/5/14 12:16 am - Riverside, CA

I eat in front of my students.  However, I do drink protien shakes out of my coffee cup on my desk.  My students are understanding about my eating schedule.  As teachers, we schedule our bladders, we just have to schedule our meals.  I bring a small cooler of food that is already in small portions.  

Most Active