Teeth!!

southernlady5464
on 7/9/14 10:30 pm
On July 9, 2014 at 7:19 PM Pacific Time, C. Harvey wrote:

Yes, I take calcium...and I keep a check on my levels frequently...I am a Lab Technician...all my labs accept for my Iron and Vit D are normal

These were my recent labs

With a ferritn THAT low, I would get infusions NOW.

I'm going for infusions and my ferritin is 23.7 which is almost 5 times higher than yours.

Symptoms of low ferritin/iron:

• weakness
  • fatigue
  • pica (urge to eat non food items: dirt, ice, hair, coins, etc)
  • shortness of breath
  • irregular heart beat
  • sensitivity to cold weakness
  • pale skin and membranes (inside of mouth, eyelids)
  • restless legs syndrome
  • sore tongue
  • spoon-shaped fingernails
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • drowsiness
  • syncope (loss of consciousness)
  • enlarged spleen

Question? If what you are currently using isn't working, why NOT try a different D and different iron? TRY the dry form of D for a few months to see if it helps.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/7/14 7:17 am

too much D can be dangerous 

Are there safety concerns?

Vitamin D is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth in recommended amounts. Most people do not commonly experience side effects with vitamin D, unless too much is taken. Some side effects of taking too much vitamin D include weakness, fatigue, sleepiness, headache, loss of appetite, dry mouth, metallic taste, nausea, vomiting, and others.

Taking vitamin D for long periods of time in doses higher than 4000 units per day is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and may cause excessively high levels of calcium in the blood. However, much higher doses are often needed for the short-term treatment of vitamin D deficiency. This type of treatment should be done under the supervision of a healthcare provider.

Special precautions & warnings:

Kidney disease: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels and increase the risk of “hardening of the arteries” in people with serious kidney disease. This must be balanced with the need to prevent renal osteodystrophy, a bone disease that occurs when the kidneys fail to maintain the proper levels of calcium and phosphorus in the blood. Calcium levels should be monitored carefully in people with kidney disease.

High levels of calcium in the blood: Taking vitamin D could make this condition worse.

“Hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis): Taking vitamin D could make this condition worse.

Sarcoidosis: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with sarcoidosis. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Histoplasmosis: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with histoplasmosis. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Over-active parathyroid gland (hyperparathyroidism): Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with hyperparathyroidism. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Lymphoma: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with lymphoma. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/7/14 7:13 am

Hi,

Beside D, what is your calcium levels and PTH?  Also - if you have problem with teeth - you may check your bone density - just to make sure you don't deal with early age osteopenia (my friend had that at age 38 - genetic in her case).

For bone health - we need calcium + magnesium +boron +vit K2. Vit D - helps us absorb calcium. But if you are deficient in any of the others (especially K2) your body will not be able to put the calcium in any bones - including teeth.  

Too much D and calcium with not enough other elements ask for serious trouble. 

we need at least 2:1 calcium: magnesium,. so for every 1000 mg of calcium you need 500 mg magnesium. Boron, and other  - just traces.  And vit K2.  Lots of it is your bones and teeth are weak.  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

C. Harvey
on 7/7/14 12:40 pm
VSG on 01/11/12

Yes, see I know that and that is why I only take what is recommended. I am a Lab Technician and I check my levels regularly. My Total Protein, Albumin, and Calcium levels long with everything else is always perfect, accept Vitamin D and Iron they are always low.

meg1778
on 7/8/14 8:14 am - Phoenix, AZ

I'm with you.  I've had the VSG and prior to surgery I was frequently anemic and had low VitD.  Now I'm two years post op and I too am taking weekly D3 50,000 and I'm pretty severely anemic, so I'm also taking daily iron.  However, I haven't had the dental issues you are having.  

My mother had issues with pregnancy and teeth, but we believe that was related to the fact that she'd had "bad teeth" to begin with.  By the time she was in her mid-30's she'd already had several crowns.  her dentist told her that she had weak enamel to start with and that the pregnancies had leached a lot of calcium from her teeth.  

If your calcium levels are okay, it may not be related to your surgery at all, you may have just genetically gotten "bad teeth".

C. Harvey
on 7/9/14 12:22 pm
VSG on 01/11/12
I did not have teeth problems until surgery...dental work was something I never had to have prior to surgery...my teeth were always healthy.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/7/14 7:20 am

just an idea.. I need to run and have not read that yet.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/stop-vitamin-d

I take D3 - 50,000 dry D3 once a week.My goal is to have 50-80.. no more than that...I don't need more than that. 

TammaiTX
on 7/8/14 6:55 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 07/15/10 with

This is definitely a problem I have. I had RNY in July 2010 and have been very happy with my results but definitely have some lingering issues. I'll be the first to admit I haven't been on top of my supplementation. I also had a surprise pregnancy early on, lost the baby and got pregnant quickly thereafter. The pregnancies drained my body. My amazing daughter is 18 months old now and I think I am just starting to rebound. I also think I was anemic prior to this surgery. I have ongoing dental issues and have spent tons on dental work in the last 3 years. 

By the way, Poet Kelly has been tremendously helpful to me over the years...she has an amazing amount of knowledge. Thanks Kelly!

Follow my journey...   
http://tammyswellnessjourney.wordpress.com             
Most Active