Teeth!!

poet_kelly
on 7/7/14 4:47 am - OH

I understand that.  but what I'm asking is what is the pharmacy actually giving you.  Legally they can substitute D2 for D3.  That means even if the script says D3, the pharmacy can give you D2.

So are you saying you are not getting Drisdol, the green football-shaped things?  You are getting something else from the pharmacy?

What does the product you get from the pharmacy look like?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 7/7/14 4:54 am - OH

After doing some googling, I cannot find a prescription D3 that comes in 50,000 IU doses.  There is a product called Calcitrol with is D3, but it comes in lower doses and is an orange soft gel.  Is that maybe what you are taking?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

C. Harvey
on 7/7/14 5:01 am
VSG on 01/11/12

it is an orange softgel, but it does say 50,000 IU

C. Harvey
on 7/7/14 5:10 am
VSG on 01/11/12

this is what the script says....the one with the mouse hand pointing to it is the 50,000 which she sends thro to the pharmacy for me...they are orange softgels 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/7/14 7:17 am

too much D can be dangerous 

Are there safety concerns?

Vitamin D is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth in recommended amounts. Most people do not commonly experience side effects with vitamin D, unless too much is taken. Some side effects of taking too much vitamin D include weakness, fatigue, sleepiness, headache, loss of appetite, dry mouth, metallic taste, nausea, vomiting, and others.

Taking vitamin D for long periods of time in doses higher than 4000 units per day is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and may cause excessively high levels of calcium in the blood. However, much higher doses are often needed for the short-term treatment of vitamin D deficiency. This type of treatment should be done under the supervision of a healthcare provider.

Special precautions & warnings:

Kidney disease: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels and increase the risk of “hardening of the arteries” in people with serious kidney disease. This must be balanced with the need to prevent renal osteodystrophy, a bone disease that occurs when the kidneys fail to maintain the proper levels of calcium and phosphorus in the blood. Calcium levels should be monitored carefully in people with kidney disease.

High levels of calcium in the blood: Taking vitamin D could make this condition worse.

“Hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis): Taking vitamin D could make this condition worse.

Sarcoidosis: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with sarcoidosis. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Histoplasmosis: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with histoplasmosis. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Over-active parathyroid gland (hyperparathyroidism): Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with hyperparathyroidism. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Lymphoma: Vitamin D may increase calcium levels in people with lymphoma. This could lead to kidney stones and other problems. Use vitamin D cautiously.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

C. Harvey
on 7/7/14 12:39 pm
VSG on 01/11/12

Yes, see I know that and that is why I only take what is recommended. I am a Lab Technician and I check my levels regularly. My Total Protein, Albumin, and Calcium levels long with everything else is always perfect, accept Vitamin D and Iron they are always low.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/7/14 2:33 pm

I had RNY and took dry D3 50,000 ui daily for 2 moths. My level got way too high. Now they are OK at 70-90. 

Taking dry D3 and not have fast ast the same time really worked for me.   If your D is really low - you may try that, then maintain only.  

Iron - I need infusions.  And I need B12 shots weekly,  my body just does not retain those.  I think I always had issues with irton and B12 but never tested it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

C. Harvey
on 7/8/14 2:07 am
VSG on 01/11/12

I take B12 weekly also...my surgeon told me when I go back in December if my iron levels are still low we are going to start infusing...he was hoping that my body would bounce back from having the baby, since I was only a year out when I got pregnant, and I was already anemic before surgery. 

MsBatt
on 7/8/14 2:22 am

I see no mention of you taking calcium. Do you? Also, your blood calcium levels will stay in the normal range until you're almost DEAD. Calcium is required in order for our nerve impulses to be transmitted properly, so our bodies will steal calcium from our bones in order to keep the blood calcium level normal. (If our nerve impulses don't get transmitted properly, our hearts can stop beating.)

Do you check your PTH levels, along with your Vitamin D? Without adequate D, we can't absorb calcium, so our PTH level rises as we eat our bones (and teeth!) in order to keep our nerves working properly.

No matter what your pharmacy is giving you, your D levels are still bad. In your shoes, I'd buy the 50,000IU dry stuff from Bio-tech and give it a try. Can't hurt, might solve your problem.

C. Harvey
on 7/9/14 12:19 pm, edited 7/9/14 12:19 pm
VSG on 01/11/12

Yes, I take calcium...and I keep a check on my levels frequently...I am a Lab Technician...all my labs accept for my Iron and Vit D are normal

These were my recent labs

Most Active