How to lose the carb cravings

swekmom
on 7/4/14 1:42 pm

I am working on the 6 month dr supervised diet prior to approval for sleeve surgery.  However, I am gaining weight instead of losing!  Seems like all I want to do is eat carbs - how has everyone dealt with the loss of carbs in your diet?  I have an appoint Monday and don' t even want to get on the scale as I know I will have not lost anything or gained again.  Very depressing at this point and wondering how I will handle this after surgery!!    

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/5/14 2:51 am
RNY on 12/31/13

For me, there is no way to cut the craving except by removing them from your diet.  After about three days, the cravings are appreciably less.

If you are not doing so, I also recommend that you log everything that you eat.  I use My Fitness Pal.  This will help you to see your calories, carbs, etc and take stock in how much you are truly eating.

You are right in considering how you will handle your relationship with food even after the surgery.  Too many people believe that surgery will "fix" everything -- but so much of our eating has to do with our minds and not our stomach.  Consider telling your program about the trouble you are facing -- you are certainly not the first nor the last to have the same issue.  You have no reason to be embarrassed or ashamed.  Perhaps they can set you up with a counselor that can help you address these issues now to give you the greatest chance for success after WLS.  

Good luck to you.  Remember, you aren't alone.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Lady_K1126
on 7/5/14 5:59 am

Very well said.

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

Nancy
on 7/5/14 5:07 am - Kasson, MN

String cheese, nuts, celery.  You crave things because your body Is lacking certain vitamins, your body is going through a lot of changes.  I grab vegetables and just eat them, that crunchy is good!

Tracy D.
on 7/7/14 12:04 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Carbs are my crack - especially if you're talking white flour, crackers, pasta, rice, etc.  I had to cut them COMPLETELY out of my diet and detox for about 3-5 days to get rid of the carb monster.  Once I was detoxed I added back in some healthy carbs with SMALL amounts of low-glycemic fruits (berries, melon) and made sure I ate plenty of veggies.  And of course I upped the protein a ton.  

If you aren't logging your food now I urge you to do so as you'll have to do it post-op.  See if you can create a daily food plan that keeps you to 1000 calories a day, less than 40-50 carbs and at least 80 grams of protein.  If you can do this for a few weeks before surgery than you'll have the keys to success post-op. 

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active