6 years Gastric Bypass - Sick every time I eat

MoHeim
on 7/4/14 2:25 am

I am 6 years post Gastric Bypass.  Over the last 6 months, I have been getting nauseous with vomiting almost every time I eat.  I still 'dump' at times.  In addition, I am having drops in my blood sugar (30's-50's).  Thoughts?

White Dove
on 7/4/14 4:55 am - Warren, OH

Go and get checked for a stricture.  It is rare at this point but could happen.  Also ulcers may have developed.  See a doctor.  The blood sugar can be controlled with diet.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MoHeim
on 7/4/14 5:33 am

I have been checked for Stricture and ulcers and negative on both.  I watch extremely closely my glycemic index because of my sugar and there is no rhyme or reason to it.  

I lost 136 lbs, gained back 6 over 6 years.  My food capacity is about 1 cup, so I have maintained well.  Seeing an endocrinologist, but he is lost at this also.  He is doing some research, because we keep coming back with nothing.  

Just wondering if anyone else, post bypass (2+ years out) has had similar.  With it also, I am having extreme body aches and fatigue (but all my vitamin and mineral levels are within normal range). 

White Dove
on 7/4/14 7:15 am - Warren, OH

I have never heard of something like this and see why the doctors are stumped.  Hope you get answers and relief soon.  This sounds terrible.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MickeyDee
on 7/4/14 1:08 pm

Have you been checked for Lyme's Disease?  I know it sounds weird, but there is research that shows it is more widely suffered than had been thought.  Also, antibiotics have been found to be helpful as well.

Hope you get some help soon.

MoHeim
on 7/6/14 12:11 am

Hmm.  That sounds identical to me!  They have not checked my adrenal function.  I will ask him to do that.  He has been very helpful about trying/testing almost anything.  Thank you!

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/4/14 2:25 pm

Over a year ago I was diagnosed with secondary adrenal insufficiency.  I don't think RNY caused that.  But who knows ?  I had severe RH , also hypoglycemia, plusd I was almost always tired, had low BP, and very poor tolerance to heat. 

Plus developed fgoid asllergiues and aches andf pains (cortisol controls inflammation - low cortisol - more inflammation = pain) and so on. 

Not many endo treat borderline adrenal insufficiency. Mine does and last year I was out on a small dose of hydrocortisone (divided dose - a 2-3 times a day to mimic natural hormon production) I got my life back.  I still get RH if I eat carbs (too many of them or almost any starches) but other than that I am fine. 

Also - in my case - some carbs - even low glycemic index or load - are "off the list" because they affect my BS too much ...and cause me to crash.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gwen M.
on 7/4/14 4:55 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What does your doctor or surgeon say?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 7/4/14 10:36 am, edited 7/4/14 10:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Thoughts are that you need to call the doc ASAP and keep on them.  Advocate for yourself and don't accept the shrugging of their shoulders.  Are you getting enough fluids?  Dehydration causes extreme nausea.  Dumping could stick with you for life, so nothing to be concerned with on that end.  You do need to get this under control, and it may take some pushing on your part to get it done.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active