Travel after surgery?

Amanda31panda
on 7/3/14 10:40 am

I officially have my surgery date July 14th I am having the Rouen-y and I will have help with my 3 kids for a few days but in order to have help with them after that I would have to take them to my mothers which is a 1,000 mile trip. One of my children can drive part of the way the other two can not. I was wondering how everyone felt functionally after surgery and if it would really be a possibility for this kind of trip. 

Thanks

poet_kelly
on 7/3/14 10:47 am - OH

I think for me it would have been easier to keep the kids at home.  Unless you have complications with your surgery, you won't need a lot of help with them, I don't think.  But that would be, what, 20 hours in the car?  I think that would be difficult.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amanda31panda
on 7/3/14 10:49 am

Thank you it is not my older kids I'm worried about I do have a 3 year old that is very demanding 

poet_kelly
on 7/3/14 10:56 am - OH

A 16-hour car trip with a three year old sounds awful to me.  Can't the older kids help a little with the three year old?  You won't want to be lifting the three year old, but I would think if you plan fun and easy activities like get new coloring books, sticker books, videos, etc and have easy meals on hand (kids that age are happy with cereal for dinner), you'd be fine.  And three year olds like to help so he would do stuff like bring you things you  need.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amanda31panda
on 7/3/14 10:58 am

Thank you yes I am still debating!! I just wish I already knew how I was going to feel!! I am also just very ready and anxious to have my surgery!! 

healthycarolina
on 7/4/14 1:04 am
RNY on 11/18/13

My Doctor did not want us t obe more than an hour away for several weeks after surgery.  The last thing you need is to have a complication and you are in the middle of no where and the emergency room staff is not familiar with the complications that can occur after surgery.  Fly your mother out to stay with you.

Wanda

Wanda

Amanda31panda
on 7/4/14 1:08 am

Very true thank you 

poet_kelly
on 7/4/14 10:51 am - OH

Many of us have surgery more than an hour away from our surgeons.  I live three hours away from where I had surgery - there are no bariatric surgeons less than an hour from where I live!  ER staff can always call your surgeon if you have problems or they aren't familiar with your surgery.

Valerie G.
on 7/4/14 12:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Send the kids to Granny's before your surgery so you'll not be worrying about it for a while and you can heal in peace.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amanda31panda
on 7/4/14 12:53 am

Thank you I REALLY wish I could!! I may just stay here I just wish I knew already how I would feel. I read a lot of people's posts about after and everyone feels different. 

Thank you

Most Active