Discouraged, with reason

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 7:36 am

I am now 1/2 way through the 6 months of required waiting / weight loss

But things have gone crazy on the home front - my very strong, hard working husband became very ill & was in the hospital & now goes back every few days for additional treatments. It had been physically & emotionally exhausting. Right now thinking about having surgery is an overwhelming idea. Hospitals and complication**** home real hard.
And hubby will use up all the sick leave & vacation time he was planning on using to be off for me & b4 he is well enough to go back the tiny savings we had will be gone ( at least I don't eat much - ha)

I have no idea how to process this.

(on the positive side I did try really really hard not to slip into bad food habits while he was in the hospital, which would have been really easy to do as it is cheep & easy & fast & available - in fact more available at the hospital than health options)

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/3/14 7:59 am

I think you should go for it.  If you don't - how much longer you will be able to live like that? 

you need to be strong -and take care of you.  I had the WLS and was home by myself after the hospital.  I had a friend stay with me in the hospital (2-3 days), and he spend a night after I was released home.(my doc required that) but after that - it was just me.. .  Week post op I was able to drive...I moved slowly - and took time. I took 4 weeks to recover. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gwen M.
on 7/3/14 8:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Right after I decided to have WLS, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.  I juggled all of my pre-op appointments around spending every third week with him for chemo.  It was a challenge, but my parents were 100% supportive and I knew that my obesity is just as much of a killer as my dad's cancer and, just like the cancer, it needed to be dealt with instead of ignored for one more minute.  

You can do this.  Yes, it sucks, but you'll be better able to cope with your husband's health problems in the future if you take care of your own.  And you'll be fine with recovery if he's not there to help you out, as long as you have someone to drive you home from the hospital.  

Hang in there.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Eggface
on 7/4/14 12:16 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Sorry about your husband's illness I hope he will be well again soon.

I'd go for it... life 150 pounds lighter will help. It's an adjustment for sure but you can ease into those changes now... start living like post surgery as much as you can.

As far as having help... you'll be in hospital for the part you need the most help for and then really its minimal help needed (I had surgery in Mexico, alone with a 30-45 minutes visit from a nurse each day, I was fine) if you have a pal that can stop by that would be great but if not you would be fine while he was at work I'm sure. You'll need to plan ahead a bit have your "stuff" prepared a bit more but definitely doable.

I'm sure you have come to realize (esp after dealing with your husbands illness) we tend to rise to a challenge that faces us :)

Best wishes to you in whatever you decide and healing wishes for your DH.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Nancy
on 7/7/14 2:07 am - Kasson, MN

Keep your plans,  you will do just fine and you being more healthy will benefit everyone!  Big hugs..

Most Active