Age limitations

Wtbygal1
on 7/3/14 12:39 am

I am 71 y/o, active in community, work part time, volunteer and have many hobbies.  Mild hypertension, sleep apnea and arthritis.  Do you think this age is an impediment to surgery---is it worth discussing with a surgeon considering my age. 

Lady_K1126
on 7/3/14 2:15 am

I have read that over 65 is questionable.  However, I would at least call the surgeon's office and ask them.  Their office folks probably know the answer to that question.  Good luck!

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/3/14 2:19 am
RNY on 12/31/13

A lady in my support group (Cleveland Clinic) is 76.  She had surgery the same time that I did.  I would definitely not rule yourself out.

Good luck

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/3/14 3:15 am

If anything - I would recommend the VSG -  the sleeve... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/3/14 5:14 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Interesting Hala … the lady in my group did have the VSG.  I never questioned "why" or anything -- 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/3/14 7:35 am

as we get older - we may need a simple advil for the pains and aches.  Plus - there is no protein and mineral malabsorption and as we get older - we lose anyway the ability to digest and absorb proteins and vitamins.

I wish I had VSG.. but my doc did not do them when I had mine. O well.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

56sunShine14
on 7/3/14 5:43 am

Because you are active, you should call a WLS surgeon or even your own doctor and ask.  I wouldn't think your age would keep you from it if you are otherwise fairly healthy and active.  You don't say how much weight you need to lose, is it a lot...over 100 pounds or is it less?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

basilmk
on 7/6/14 12:54 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I just responded to another Post about age. I was 66 when I had my rny with no complications.  At six months out, I'm down almost 100 lbs.

My surgeon has no age restrictions and it was never addressed. 

Find the very best surgeon with the very best program and schedule an appointment.

Email me if I can give you any additional information or encouragement.

marty

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Most Active