Insurance song and dance

oflo79
on 7/2/14 1:21 pm

I just received a call from the person processing my request for surgery.  She told me that my insurance requires me to go under a physician monitored diet plan for six months.  I guess this whole process is going to take longer then I thought.  What if I don't get approved. I'm just feeling a little frustrated.

MKing214
on 7/2/14 1:30 pm - omaha, NE

i felt the same way. worse case appeal a denial.  just follow what ins wants exactly, i did and it was some hoops but so worth it. stay strong and i wish you luck on this amazing journey.

Amy K.
on 7/2/14 2:45 pm - Tucson, AZ

When I started the process and was told about the 6-months I thought "no way, that's crazy", but 1 day post op I realize it's all worth it! For 6-months I met with my primary care doc and did nutritional counseling, all that taught me how life would be after surgery and I'm so glad they made me slow down and learn.

High Weight: 264, BMI 46.8, Surgery Date: July 1, 2014, weight 227, BMI 40.2

Lady_K1126
on 7/3/14 12:31 am

I had to do the same thing.  I had no idea going in for my inital consult.  I knew it would be a few months, but 6 months of nutrition classes nearly flipped me out.  I didn't think I could do it, but I'm half way there now.  It has also given me some time to lose weight to lessen surgery complications.  Just keep jumping through the hoops - you'll get there!

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

civilmomma
on 7/3/14 12:59 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I had to do the 6 month supervised diet thing too.  It seems like it takes forever, but the end does come. 

If you work with a bariatric clinic, they will make sure you have everything in order to get approval.  My clinic has a process where you do all the other pre-op checks in the same 6 months you are doing the diet stuff with their NUTs.

Good Luck!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Lady_K1126
on 7/3/14 2:13 am

Sounds like the clinic I'm going to.  They definitely have it down to a science.  I'm doing the hoop jumping, but they are keeping track and will tell my insurance that I did great.  LOL!

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

poet_kelly
on 7/3/14 1:06 pm - OH

Contact your insurance company to find out all their requirements.  That way you can make sure you do get approved.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VSG_VET
on 7/3/14 1:30 pm

Yeah, What they said!   First appointment February 25,2014 - Surgery set for July 22, 2014 and I think I have enough good habits in place now to be successful.

nicoleyoung
on 7/7/14 12:09 pm - Sandusky, OH

Hi I'm going through the same thing right now. Have they given you a diet to follow cause I been there once once n they just said no donuts to I come back, I really need some help. I've been doing some research on what to expect but still nerverous as well. any help will be appreciate..... Thank you for listening.

nicoleyoung
on 7/7/14 12:11 pm - Sandusky, OH

Hi I'm going through the same thing right now. Have they given you a diet to follow cause I been there once once n they just said no donuts to I come back, I really need some help. I've been doing some research on what to expect but still nerverous as well. any help will be appreciate..... Thank you for listening.

Most Active