Protein test

Jen 1959
on 7/2/14 6:39 am - NH

I would like to have my protein checked , My yearly labs in December showed protein in the low end range ....Would it be the Total Serum Protein test?  

Also is there an independant test to see how much Calcium I have?

Thanks.... Happy and Safe 4th   :)

Jennifer

RNY 5/30/08

S/W  236

C/W  115

poet_kelly
on 7/2/14 8:53 am - OH

There is a blood test to test the amount of calcium in your blood, but it doesn't tell you anything about your calcium intake.  That's because if you aren't taking enough calcium in, you just leach it out of your bones to keep the level in your blood good.  That's because if the calcium in your blood gets too low, your heart can't beat right.  Your body thinks your heart is more important than your bones.

You can get a blood test to check your PTH level and if that is high, it usually means you are leaching calcium out of your bones.

You should get a bone density scan, though, to check on your bones.

Both the total serum protein and the albumin levels tell you about your protein intake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jen 1959
on 7/2/14 9:37 am, edited 7/2/14 10:18 pm - NH

Thank you Kelley, I did have a done density scan last Dec.   It said I had osteopenia..

I am  curious about my calcium, I take 2000 mgs of Calcium citrate..I was taking only 1500 mgs.....I will ask for a PTH test

and the total serum and albumin test....   I am also having my Iron and all that usually goes with it retested,  and my Vit D...in Dec they were okay but I would like them a little higher....

Thank you for replying .

Jennifer

RNY 5/30/08

S/W  236

C/W  115

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/14 7:54 pm, edited 7/2/14 7:56 pm
Grim_Traveller
on 7/2/14 8:21 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

For preops, calcium carbonate is absorbed better with meals. But postops don't absorb calcium carbbonate very well at all. Calcium citrate is absorbed well by everyone, and it doesn't matter if it's taken with meals or not.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/2/14 11:11 pm - OH

Just a note that the ASMBS -- and almost all surgeons -- recommend MORE than just 1200mg of calcium citrate daily.  The OP already indicated that she has osteopenia and is  taking 2000 mg per day (as I do because I, too, have some bone loss).  

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 7/3/14 4:48 am - OH

For RNY patients, due to the lack of stomach acid in the pouch, calcium is NOT absorbed well from food at all.  And we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate, not 1000-1200 mg, according to the ASMBS.  That means we need three to four doses a day, not two.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active