Removal of the unused portion of your stomach after RNY

Georgi F.
on 7/2/14 2:15 am - Richmond, VA

Hey everyone -

Has anyone ever heard of having problems with the unused portion of your stomach several years after Roux en Y gastric bypass? I'm 5 years post-op and, for the past year, have been having a ton of issues with chronic upper left abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting, etc. I was referred back to the surgeon to lice adhesion's that showed up after having multiple abdominal surgeries (was diagnosed with cancer 2 years post-op, too, and required surgery). The surgeon is going to lice the adhesion's, but he said that he thinks the issue I am having is with my unused stomach not digesting the gastric juices that are still produced. Has anyone ever heard of this? Has anyone ever been through this? He would like to remove the unused portion of my stomach if the pain does not go away after removing the adhesions. Since this isn't something I've heard of or able to find research about, I wanted to see if anyone else has been through something similar. I am seeing a new surgeon because the surgeon who took care of me for years and did my original surgery retired this past year. I'm feeling nervous about all of it. Any feedback is appreciated!! 

JenniPenny
on 7/2/14 5:25 am - MN

My friend went through that - she had the rest of her stomach removed and is doing fine. Her's was a problem with scar tissue I believe after multiple abdominal and stomach surgeries (not wls related).

We don't use the "old stomach" and it's not necessary for digestion so removing it, although scary is ok for us as we do have a functioning stomach (pouch) above the old one.

Jen 13 yrs post op RNY

jenorama
on 7/2/14 4:30 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Even though no food goes into the blind stomach, I think it does still produce gastric juices that go down into the intestines below the "Y". How much or how effective, I don't know. VSG people seem to do okay without the rest of their stomachs, tho. How that would affect digestion is the only question I can think to ask the surgeon. 

Good luck!

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/2/14 8:14 pm

It probably may affect the digestion.  But at least you would not have to worry about ulcers in that part. 

I had/have issues with pain and cramping after eating and I had to drassdticasly modified my diet.  I found out that I had food allergies - intolerances, and once I removed that foods - I could see improvements.  Beside that - I most likely developed IBS-C - very sensitive gut syndrome that cause pain and cramping with any pressure or just because.  Way to control it by me is to eliminate or drastically limit foods from _FODMAP group (Google it).  And low carbs - carbs cause too much gas in my guts and gas=pressure and pain.  

A few days ago I wanted some cranchy foods and instead of grabbing some snacks thast I knew are "safe" I helped myself to  serving of chips (good - chips) . the pain and cramping that followed made me take muscle relaxant and even narco. The pain and cramping, though not as severe lasted for another 2-3 days.  My gut was "pissed". Lesson learned. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active