My wife is two days out of surgery, and still in hospital.

mertzgoodwin
on 7/1/14 4:23 pm

The doctors/ nurses took her off the IV this morning told her to begin sipping water. She did great at first, considering. However I am forcing her every thirty minutes to take a sip or two. According to the head nurse she should consume approximately 64oz of water and she is taking three to four sips every hour, should I be concerned? Is this normal? And how can I help her?

jastypes
on 7/1/14 10:31 pm - Croydon, PA

Awww, you are so sweet to want to take good care of her.  I suggest asking the nurses how to help!  I was in the hospital for a few days.  The pain meds made me really nauseous and I wasn't really okay until they changed those.  Encourage her to sip, and take walks with her as she is able -- around the hallway.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

kathkeb
on 7/2/14 5:51 am

I used a medicine cup (2tablespoon size from like a bottle of cough syrup) and sipped 1 every 15 minutes.

That gave me 8 ounces per hour ....

If she is watching tv,you can encourage herto drain during commercials ... A few tablespoons each one will get the job done.

It may take a few daysto get up to 64 ounces ... Just make sure she is  keeping after it.

Kath

kathkeb
on 7/2/14 10:06 am

I used a medicine cup (2tablespoon size from like a bottle of cough syrup) and sipped 1 every 15 minutes.

That gave me 8 ounces per hour ....

If she is watching tv,you can encourage herto drain during commercials ... A few tablespoons each one will get the job done.

It may take a few daysto get up to 64 ounces ... Just make sure she is  keeping after it.

Kath

Nancy
on 7/7/14 2:15 am - Kasson, MN

Suck on ice chips..... It take a while to start getting things down....just keep sipping a little at a time.

Most Active