I don't know what to do about my lap band problem

jojowams
on 7/1/14 1:18 am

I got a lap band about 3 years ago. Since the beginning I was only able to have 2.5 cc of fluid added to it otherwise I would vomit. I only lost about 40 pounds. A year ago I started having acid re-flux and I was making the most horrendous noises after I ate or drank. The surgeon unfilled my band and I healed but I never had the band filled again because my insurance doesn't cover it and I cannot afford it. I paid for the initial lap band surgery by myself. A month ago I started again with the acid re-flux and the noises. I went to a gastroenterologist and had a endoscopy. He told me that my band was placed too high and that is causing my problems. I asked him if it slipped and he said no. So now what do I do? Can I sue? The gastro doctor told me I would probably have to have the band removed. I don't want to gain the weight back and can't afford to pay for another surgery. I am taking prevacid 30mg twice a day and carafate 4 times a day and it only helps a little. Any advice would be appreciated.

56sunShine14
on 7/1/14 2:11 am

Although we can support you and give opinions, you will have to make this decision on your own.  that said, I have the band until the 22nd of this month and will be glad to be rid of it.  have you talked to your surgeon about it being placed too high?  That would be my first stop.  Who knows, maybe he will go back in to correct it at no charge.  It's worth the asking at least.

how big is your band?  Mine is14cc and I think it is too large because it took so long to get to restriction.  Other than the above suggestion, your only choice is to have it removed and maybe go to another WLS.  Wishing you luck.  Please at least tell the surgeon.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

jojowams
on 7/1/14 2:29 am

My band is 10 cc

Kate -True Brit
on 7/1/14 2:23 am - UK

If your original surgeon put the band in the wrong place, could you go back to him? Although he will probably disclaim any responsibility!

i have no real advice as I am not familiar with your health system. But if the band is too high and causing problems, you really do need to get something done. It can cause serious and permanent damage to the oesophagus and the vagus nerve. 

Might your insurance remove it as medical necessity?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 7/1/14 2:53 am - OH

I guess I'd start by having the gastro doc put in writing that the band was placed too high and that it is causing you significant problems.  Then I'd take that, in writing, to the surgeon that placed the band and inform him you want him to remove it or fix it, at no cost to you, since he placed it incorrectly.  I expect he will disagree that he placed it too high, but I'd start there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active