Sleeve vs. RNY?

VRoni
on 7/1/14 6:53 am - Susanville , CA
with

Trying to find out all I can on the RNY vs the sleeve surgery. At 420lbs Dr and I had agreed to the RNY that it would be best for me.

Now that I have lost the 50lbs to get my BMI down so I can have the surgery he says i should do the sleeve.  I am not able to walk any long distance because of an ankle brake and issues with the ankle. I will need surgery on it after I get the weight off. So I need to figure out the best option for me. 

I have heard of people having the sleeve and it not working and have to go back and get the RNY.

What have others experienced with ether surgery? 

Lady_K1126
on 7/1/14 7:02 am

I'm still pre-op, but I can share how I chose between the two.  From the way it was explained to me, the Sleeve involves removing a part of your stomach.  The RNY only bypasses it.  To me, if, in the future-God forbid, something were to go wrong, I'd still have that part of my stomach left.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck!

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

Kate -True Brit
on 7/1/14 7:03 am - UK

If you look back about six threads, you will see this question and some replies. If you use the search function (a magnifying glass in the blue bar) you will find lots of replies to this question. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mary Catherine
on 7/1/14 7:06 am, edited 7/1/14 7:08 am

RNY is easier because the body does not absorb everything that you eat.  So you get a couple of years when you lose even if you don't follow the diet very well.  With sleeve you absorb every calorie that you eat.  It is harder and that is why so many people end up getting the RNY as a second surgery.  There is also the DS surgery for a second surgery.

The sleeve is easier and quicker for the surgeon to do.  They can make double the money be giving you a sleeve first and a RNY is the sleeve does not work.  I have RNY and pretty much eat whatever I want, just don't want very much of anything.  People with the sleeve have to follow a diet or they will not lose and they will gain back. 

VRoni
on 7/1/14 7:18 am - Susanville , CA
with

Thats what I was thinking. DR said because I live so far away( 7hr drive one way) the sleeve would be better because of less compilations and I can take meds the same way I do now.

I don't like the idea of changing in mid stream from the RNY to the sleeve had my mind set on it. I want to get it right the 1st time.  Is it my choice or the Dr? Can the Dr. refuse to do the RNY and say its Sleeve or nothing, if I chose to do RNY one?

Mary Catherine
on 7/1/14 9:22 am

It is your choice. 

Kate -True Brit
on 7/1/14 5:42 pm - UK

However, the malabsorption of RNY doesn't last at that level forever and after a couple of years, you cannot eat whatever you like. Successful RNY people change their eating while they have the benefit of the malabsorption so they can cope when they no longer have it, or as much if it.  Regain can be a significant problem several years down the line. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

southernlady5464
on 7/1/14 7:30 am
On July 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM Pacific Time, VRoni wrote:

Trying to find out all I can on the RNY vs the sleeve surgery. At 420lbs Dr and I had agreed to the RNY that it would be best for me.

Now that I have lost the 50lbs to get my BMI down so I can have the surgery he says i should do the sleeve.  I am not able to walk any long distance because of an ankle brake and issues with the ankle. I will need surgery on it after I get the weight off. So I need to figure out the best option for me. 

I have heard of people having the sleeve and it not working and have to go back and get the RNY.

What have others experienced with ether surgery? 

Neither. *I* CHOSE the DS and then found a surgeon willing.

BUT if I had to chose, I would chose the sleeve as you are able to take NSAIDS afterward. Can't ever again with RNY even topicals. AND if you end up needing malabsorption, then revising to the DS is the natural second step.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Lauren Vento
on 7/1/14 7:52 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

I had the Sleeve.  I lost 100% of my excess weight in 11 months, and have kept it off for a year now.  I've found in my research that both surgeries are similar in results, and all results are based on your dedication to maintaining a healthy diet.  

Anyone can get the surgery and have it not work if they don't follow the proper diet.  You need to decide between restriction or malabsorption on how you would like to lose the weight.  Best of luck and I hope you come to your decision easily!

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Mary Catherine
on 7/1/14 10:48 pm

While Laureen is a great success story, she is also a rare success story.  Losing 40 pounds is a very common VSG outcome.  You do not have to decide between restriction and malabsorption.  With RNY you get both.

Most Active