esophageal spasms

Karen63
on 6/30/14 7:23 am

Has anyone experienced this painful occurrence after surgery? I haven't had surgery yet but have been doing some research and some have to have surgery switched from sleeve to Roux-en-Y after having it done due to pain and not being able to sleep on their sides?

Karen63
on 6/30/14 8:23 am

EDIT; I meant to say they have trouble eating and it's very painful condition and they can't get in enough food or water and laying on either side throws it into spasms as well.

TracyLynn2BThin
on 6/30/14 11:15 am

I believe what you are referring to is "Stricture" - Esophageal Stricture to be exact. My RNY is scheduled 7/7 and this is one thing that I admit is something that worries me. I would like to know how other members did with this. My understanding from an information seminar is that it feels like something is stuck in your throat..then it can feel like it is heavy in your chest. Our doctor says that they remedy it by taking a scope and stretching it. This is done outpatient and may need to be done more than once for some people.

♠ RNY 7/07/14 HW 320/CW 143.4 (09/23/2015) GW 150 ♠

Karen63
on 6/30/14 12:11 pm

Wow sounds like a lot to go through :(

gram247
on 7/28/14 9:10 pm

I get this tightening sensation in the lower esophagus occasionally, if I eat too fast or don't chew well enough. I have found that sipping a small amount of warm tea, without milk eases the problem and I can then finish my meal. 

Good luck with your procedure.

Sandie E.
on 7/1/14 1:59 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I have them and I am almost 7 weeks post rny. It is extremely painful and causes nausea. My dr has me on medication for it and anti nausea medication and they are helping. I can finally eat and drink more normally! I had a sliding hiatal hernia and GERD prior to surgery so I have felt that type of pain for the last couple of years. I am glad my meds are working and my dr was able to figure it out right away with the assistance of the swallow test. She said hopefully it will be gone by the 3 month mark. I have just decided my esophagus hates me. Lol hope this helps!

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

E C.
on 7/1/14 8:19 am
JenniPenny
on 7/1/14 3:52 pm - MN

I had it which is why I was referred to my surgeon for RNY. I had it initially for Acid reflux and esophageal spasms. I haven't had any acid reflux or spasms since surgery. It's completely gone.

Jen 13 yrs post op rNY

Snowbutterfly
on 2/10/15 9:55 pm

I'm 5 months post sleeve and I've been having some consistent gastritis (scoped and confirmed). Ive had esophageal spasms for the last few months but they had been light so I ignored it but recently they have gotten horrendous.  It literally feels like I'm having contractions... but in my stomach. I didn't have a name for it until last night when I saw my pcp. She doubled my dose of omeprozole and gave me nitroglycerin for the severe attacks (who knew heart attack meds helped). I see my surgeon today tho so not sure what he will say. 

Most Active