Revision Info?

nascarcountry
on 6/30/14 12:17 am

Hello......I had a gastric bypass 14 yrs ago.  I lost 100 lbs and was quite happy.  I have regained the weight over the last 3 yrs however.  I am scheduled for an endoscopic procedure.  At first it was supposed to be a GJ band tightening.  After the initial endoscopy, there was a lot of (scar tissue--i think; i was sedated).

They are now going to do an endoscopic procedure and 'burn' different areas of my stomach-(pouch) to decrease it in size over time.  Does this make sense to anyone; or is it something anyone has heard of?

Thanks,

Dee

Ladytazz
on 6/30/14 1:24 am

Yeah, it's called sclerotherapy, there is also the ROSE Procedure, I'm not sure if they are the same but in any case I have not heard one person who had any significant, lasting weight loss.  There is some weight loss initially during the post op diet period but it all comes back.  I've been around here a long time and I am also on the Revision forum and believe me, if there were a procedure that helped I would have heard about it.

That said, truthfully, is the reason you have gained due to your eating?  Are you eating a lot of refined carbs, sugar, bread, pasta, crackers, you know what I am talking about?  If so then all the revisions in the world won't help until you get a handle on your consumption of carbs.

If the testing indicates that your pouch, or more likely your stoma has stretched then it may be time to discuss a revision but look at something like the sleeve, or DS (with a skilled revision surgeon, since it is a highly complicated surgery and should only be done by a very experienced revision surgeon).

If things are good, then you can go back to basics and work with what you have and not put yourself through the pain and expense of more surgery.

If it looks like you have a stretched pouch or stoma I would get a second opinion because I have a feeling that your surgeon may tell you that in order to get some easy money, as the procedure he is pushing seems to be more beneficial to the surgeon's wallet then it is to your body.

Search out more information about the ROSE procedure, both here and other sites, before you go through that.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

nascarcountry
on 6/30/14 5:03 am

Thank you for your help.  I will certainly check out the Rose procedure.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/30/14 8:45 am

From the few pots i seen - it works initially during recovery when people limit how much they eat and drink.. onc ethings are healed - and someone goes back to eating as they did before the procedure - the weight comes back..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

nascarcountry
on 6/30/14 9:19 am

Thank you for your reply.  That's about what I've been finding in my online research.  Have you had or do you know of any gastric bypass revision that does work?  I had a back injury 3 years ago and was in a cast for 10mos.  That stopped all exercising and my old food habits returned.  I can basically only walk for exercise now and I have really been watching my food intake.  I am just so disgusted as I worked so hard when I first had it done.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/30/14 11:35 am

I had my RNY 6 years ago.  

I am maintaining quite nicely... but due to different issues - I just hate exercise.. I mean I like it - but... I have to make sure i take it easy.. 

At one time I went as low as 145 lbs.  That was too low for me - my age and my body type.  I wanted gain a few lbs - but as life happens - I gained up to over 170... I lost to 160.. (hard work- diet) then slowly gain back again to 178...  in may my doc told me that I need to lose weight and so far lost 10 lbs.. -last 2 months.  Exercise - still not doing too much..  For me to lose weight - I need to do moderate - low impact exercise and change my diet drastically.  I did. 

I still have very good restriction - 4 oz of dense proteins + 1/2 cup of veggies and I am stuffed.  But - it has to be right proteins and right veggies. 

I don't eat starches, or most fruits. Completely gluten free... no dairy or soy (recent allergy) and only 1 -2 servings of fruits weekly- berries only. Fruits = sugar- my body makes me super hungry if i eat carbs  or sugars. 

My typical day is"

coffee + miralax, water and green tea

L; protein shake or some meat or eggs or fish with non-starchy veggies and good fat (avocado, olives, etc)

S; my own protein snack I bake (can't use cheese or protein bars -due to allergy) 

D; again protein source + veggies.. 

LNS: mostly nuts or some light on carbs - heavier on fat food. 

I make sure I eat enough fat and proteins and not a lot of carbs.

Fiber and Miralax - making sure I have good elimination... 

my typical daily calories goal is 1100.  once every 2 weeks - I don't count calories and just eat - but all the right foods... (shrimps??? yummm)

My legal cheat is wine.. maybe once a week..  or more nuts, or more nut butter. 

You can lose weight if you really want to - with just walking.. 

At one time I used to be very fat fit person... then I got RNY...because no amount of exercise could compensate for my body resistance to lose weight..

Not sure if your pouch is still nice and small.. mine is.. and eating small portions, 5-6 times a day allows me to fell restriction.  I do have "large pouch days" when I can eat and eat and eat and feel like I can't have enough... but making good food choices...and allowing my body to be hungry in between the meals - resets my "full-hungry"  sensation - and really helps..

check Back on Track Together Group..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

nascarcountry
on 6/30/14 12:10 pm

I really want to thank you for all the great info!  I copied your menu and will use it as a guide.  I have started walking more, as much as I can do without back pain. I also have a large dog that loves to walk, so it's not boring.  I really do appreciate all the food groups and amounts you gave me.  

I hope you continue to do well on your journey!

Dee

FoodAbuser
on 6/30/14 12:05 pm

original rny in 1989, did fine many years. became pregnant in 1997. Wham, felt like I never had surgery I could eat and drink whatever I wanted. I had a total regain. I had a revision in 2001. For the first 5-6 months all was fine. I would get the bad feeling if I ate too quick or too much..... then wham, the feeling disappeared. I could eat and drink whatever I wanted..... another total regain. These days I just sick to low carb high fat and the weight is coming off slowly but you have to change your mind and your eating habits..... I have not heard of any revisions working.

Most Active