Not losing. Not cheating. Help?

Alottodaylesstomorrow
on 6/30/14 4:32 pm

Help! I had surgery on the 3rd of june weighing in at 250lbs.  A month later i'm at 236! Only 14 lbs in a month. My scale hasn't budged in 3 weeks. Im following my surgeons' instructions and he still gave me a stern talking to. I walk every day 1-4miles. Over 50 oz water, Less than 20 carbs, less than 5 grams fat, ~600 cals, >100 g protein a day. What's the story? How do i lose? 

Ladytazz
on 6/30/14 5:48 pm

It sounds like you are doing everything you are supposed to.  My only advice would be to up the water.  I aim for 100 oz of fluids and 100 grams of protein a day and it really helps.

One question?  Did you lose a lot of weight before surgery?  I've seen some with a large weight loss right before surgery seem to lose a bit slower but really it's because they have already had the initial big drop that comes early in weight loss.

Other then that all you can do is keep hanging in there, maybe avoid the scale for a bit, only weigh at your doctor's, etc.

I know how demoralizing it can be to work so hard and not see the results you want.  But you have had major surgery.   Unlike a diet, this isn't something you can abandon when the going gets rough.  It is life long and even if you only lose a pound or two a week that still adds up.  You may turn around and have a huge drop tomorrow or you may putter along but one way or the other the destination is the same, a normal weight.  Whether it takes a year or so it is worth it.  

Hang in there and don't lose faith.  Keep your eye on the prize and you will get there.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Alottodaylesstomorrow
on 7/1/14 2:22 pm

Great advice! Thanks. I will definitely increase my water. I have been bad with checking the scale during this stall, but im going to stop.  Keeping my chins up. 

Kate -True Brit
on 6/30/14 6:35 pm - UK

If you use the search tab on the blue bar, you will find literally hundreds of threads about stalls at three weeks or a month post-op. It is not inevitable but it is extremely common.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

ladygodiva1228
on 6/30/14 10:09 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

What surgery did you have?  You lost 14lbs in a month that equals 3.5lbs a week which is pretty good could you have done that on our own? 

Why is your doctor giving a stern talking to at only a month out he sounds like an ass.  He should be there to help and encourage you not give you **** about only losing 14lbs. 

I would up your water and protein.  Those two things seem to really be the key players early out for any of the WLS.  Be patient the weight will come off.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/30/14 11:53 pm

Your loss is good. You are making progress. It seems quite premature of your doctor to have scolded you. How fast exactly does he expect you to lose? That is the question I would have asked him.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Jules78
on 7/1/14 12:01 am - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

Considering that you started at 250 and not 350, 14 pounds in a month sounds excellent to me.  You also have to take into consideration that your body is also losing inches which are just as important as pounds.  Just stick to what you're doing and the weight will surely come off.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

jastypes
on 7/1/14 12:39 am - Croydon, PA

ONLY 14 pounds in a month.  Why do we do that to ourselves?  14 pounds in a month is phenomenal.  Stalls are the norm.  Your body is catching up.  My sincerest recommendation is that you keep doing what you are doing with food and exercise, put your scale away for a month, and focus on the positive changes, like more energy, more stamina, clothes fitting better, etc.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Cathy W.
on 7/1/14 1:22 am

You've received great replies already but reading your post made me think of another one that has been very helpful to me.  You've almost lost 10 dozen large eggs. 

The only thing that I can add is look at the big picture.  You've had surgery not quite a month ago and lost 14 pounds.  It isn't today or this first month but it is long-term.  As long as you keep doing what you're doing and following your surgeon's food plan, you'll be fine. 

I saw this and LOVED it. Courtesy of Bette B on ObesityHelp.com, I share this with you. I think it is absolutely fantastic and gives us a real appreciation of the weight we’ve lost. Many times we get caught up in “I’ve only lost ___ pounds” but this post puts that into perspective.

Bette, thanks for the inspiration!!

Your weight loss =

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
1.5 pounds = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
3 pounds = an average human brain
4 pounds = an ostrich egg
5 pounds = a Chihuahua
6 pounds = a human’s skin
7.5 pounds = an average newborn
8 pounds = a human head
10 pounds= chemical additives an American consumes each year
11 pounds = an average housecat
12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs
16 pounds = a sperm whale’s brain
20 pounds = an automobile tire
23 pounds = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super premium ice cream
25 pounds = an average 2 year old
30 pounds = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
33 pounds = a cinder block
36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
44 pounds = an elephant’s heart
50 pounds = a small bale of hay
55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
60 pounds = an elephant’s penis (yep, weights more than his heart!)
66 pounds = fats and oils an average American eats in a year
70 pounds = an Irish Setter
77 pounds = a gold brick
80 pounds = the World’s Largest Ball of Tape
90 pounds = a newborn calf
100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
111 pounds = red meat an average American eats in a year
117 pounds = an average fashion model (and she’s 5’11”)
118 pounds = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
138 pounds = potatoes an average American eats in a year
140 pounds = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
144 pounds = an average adult woman (and she’s 5’4”)
150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
187 pounds = an average adult man
200 pounds = 2 Bloodhounds
235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
300 pounds = an average football lineman
400 pounds = a Welsh pony

Copyright 2005, Bette B. May not be reproduced with permission from the author. Please do not repost without proper acknowledgment.

Alottodaylesstomorrow
on 7/1/14 2:25 pm

It wasn't a negative talk, he was trying to encourage me and push myself a bit more. I'm getting over 100-120 grams of protein daily. Im going to increase fluids. Thanks!!

Most Active