Band or sleeve? Why did you get band revised to sleeve?

okaykay
on 6/30/14 4:00 pm

I'm debating between getting the lap band or the sleeve. I see pros and cons for each of them. The main thing I like is that the lap band is reversible and I don't know how I feel about a chunk of my stomach being permanently removed… BUT, I don't like the idea of a foreign object inside me with the band, although with the sleeve theres staples anyways.. Also, there aren't any long term studies on the sleeve yet, which worries me. As you can see I am very torn and I'd love some opinions and advice. Also, I am very curious why so many people with the lap band have it revised to the sleeve.? Let me know if I've been misinformed on any of this. Thanks!

poet_kelly
on 6/30/14 9:05 pm - OH

People revise from band to sleeve because the band has so many complications and causes so many problems and because it has such a low rate of successful weight loss.  that's why many surgeons and hospitals, including the Mayo Clinic, won't even do the band surgery anymore.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/30/14 9:40 pm - UK

Please bear in mind that I am a very happy and very successful bandit now 8 years post-op.i do not regret my band, would do it all over again and if I ever have to have it removed, I would hope to have a replacement.

When I was banded in 2006, it was a miracle surgery. And for some people, who accept that they will still have to work hard, it is just that. It was and still is for me. But over the years it has become clear that serious complications necessitating further surgery are much more common than originally thought, some of these are avoidable by careful eating and by not keeping the band tight; unfortunately others are beyond our control.

We used to be warned about band slips, leaks and about ( very rare) erosion into the stomach tissue but it turns out that a build up of scar tissue round the band (causing it to tighten) is common. It can be very difficult to get the right level of restriction and some people are tempted to keep it tight enough to physically limit food, in fact it was once thought this was how it should be. But this causes food to back up into the oesophagus and that risks problems such as oesophageal dysmotility which may be irreversible. It can also damage the vagus nerve.

I am told some places no longer implant bands because of the high removal rate.

We still need lots of will power. The band makes it easier by dimming hunger, but it does nothing for head hunger and, contrary to popular opinion, it does not and should not physically stop us eating. If it does it is too tight!

Having said all that, I love my band, I know many successful long term bandits.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 7/1/14 3:59 am

There's some ten-year data on the Sleeve now, and it seems to have about the same long-term results as the RNY/gastric bypass, without some of the potential complications.

The ten-year data on the Band indicates that a HUGE per centage of people need their Band removed within the first 6 years, and the manufacturer of the Band has said it was never intended to last for more than ten years.

So---do you want a permanent solution, or a temporary one? Have you also researched the RNY/gastric bypass and the DS/duodenal switch? Your research isn't complete until you understand ALL your options.

Jules78
on 7/1/14 11:39 pm - GA
VSG on 05/01/14

I had my surgery at a center that no longer performed lapband surgery.  I know the band is marketed as a reversible procedure but in reality, once you have that band placed your stomach is never the same again.  At best you would be left with just a lot of scar tissue, at worst you could be left with some serious permanent damage.  Some of it so bad another WLS can never be done again.

youtube channel- silkiilocks

56sunShine14
on 7/2/14 2:02 am

I was banded in 2007 and had my last final bad event with it in 2010.  I had enough fluid removed to be "comfortable" and am happily having the thing removed in a few weeks.  You definitely MUST know that you have to change your eating habits, no matter which WLS you choose.  It is a lifetime change.  

Don't let people tell you that those of us who are not happy with or didn't have success with the band simply didn't understand that or didn't want to work hard to change our habits.  For some, it may be true.  But for many more, myself included, we DID follow the rules and we DID understand the need for lifestyle change but the band was the wrong tool and caused more complications than it should have.  To assume that we just weren't willing to make those changes is irresponsible and a bit insulting so don't be led there.

Unfortunately, the past 4 years, My life was turned upside down and I simply gave up on everything.  Including the 80 pounds lost with the band. And I regained it all.  I am not happy about that and am getting back into the mindset needed for WLS.  But I had to make some hard choices elsewhere in my life before I could commit to this again and have done so.

Whatever you decide, research them all and make the decision only YOU can make and only YOU can live with. You are going to find the good and bad of all surgeries.

Good luck.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Valerie G.
on 7/4/14 1:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The band itself is reversable, however the damage it does to your stomach and esophagus may not be.  There are way too many horror stories out there (and on here) to make me ever recommend the band to anyone.  The sleeve leaves all of the working parts of the stomach intact, and only removes the stretchy part of it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kerriockey
on 7/4/14 1:39 am - Marshfield, MA

I mostly lurk and hardly ever post. But I'm.one of the few truly happy bandits I see on this site do I thought I'd let you know there are more of us out there then meets the eye. I was banded in 2007. I've had a small slip that corrected itself with a complete unfill for a month. It took.a while to get to my sweet spot. I've been laid off, found out my husband was having an affair and home they a divorce. I learned how to eat around the band. But, like any other friend my band has been there to help me when I have been willing to take the help. My highest weight was 247. Today I'm 156.  My Sutton only performed bands when I had wls. Now he does both band and sleeves. Your success hugely depends on you not just the procedure you decide to have. Best of luck on your journey :-)

Most Active